Bought a linksys 5 port switch the other day.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

It has 5 ports and one uplink port. I have a linksys router with an uplink port as well, and it was connected to a basic 10baseT Netgear Hub. I obviously needed an upgrade, so I bought an autosensing 10BaseT 100BaseT linksysn switch. I put the uplink cat5 cable in the uplink port leaving 4 free ports cause it shares port 5 with the uplink. We all know this, pretty standard. After plugging in the other computers on the switch they weren't reaching the router so internet connection was down. Out of pure curiosity, I put the uplink cable from the router to port 3 on the switch, right next to the other computers, and it works fine now. WTF? Why do I get the counterintuitive equipment? I can still use all the ports next to whatever port i use to uplink, just as long as I don't use the actual uplink port. lol Just thought I share and see if anyone else noticed things like this.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

An uplink port simply converts the plug's TX pins with the RX pins. So a hub to a hub, you don't use both uplink ports on each unit.

3. Accido

Accido New Member

:bigthumb: I see now.