Bought a cheap car from Galveston, covered in SALT! How to safely remove?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bummerd00d, Feb 10, 2010.

1. bummerd00d

bummerd00d Throbbing Member.

I bought a '91 BMW 318i for a few hundred bucks 2 weeks ago in Galveston, TX. The paint at first glance was just horrid, and covered with oxydation, but apparently it's salt. I can rub my finger and it comes off and there's paint underneath that could probably be revived. It has sat for about a year out in the sun, so i'm sure it's going to be ruined. I want to see if it's salvageable before I go the route of having it painted. I just noticed it today, so the only thing i've tried is ONR and a coin-op. I've tried ONR, and a coin-op with no success. I'm afraid to try a claybar or anything. I spoke to Scottwax about it earlier and he said try a claybar in an inconspicuous area, which i will do. I figured i'd see if anyone has had any experience with this before.

The only pic of it I really have, that shows none of the issues :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

If claying doesn't do the trick, I'd try distilled vinegar or look into Valugard ABC.

3. bummerd00d

bummerd00d Throbbing Member.

I bought the car from Galveston where it sat for a year untouched. Literally a mile from the coastline. Rubbing it off, and then tasting it it's salty. I clay bar'd a small spot on it last night, and it kinda worked. It felt like it was sanding the paint off so i stopped.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

It might feel gritty as hell, but I doubt you're "sanding the paint off." Just make sure you knead the clay often to keep a clean patch against the surface.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Probably eat a couple clay bars on that car.

6. quamen

quamen New Member

Some people might disagree totally on this, but i would try a 50/50 mix of purple power or some other degreaser, maybe even straight. I detailed a car that was owned by a mentally ill lady, who didn't realize you have to wash a car. The car wasnt washed for over 10 years, and i was called to detail it. I arrived and thought the car was green, but it was actually a white car after the owner informed me that was mildew.

I had to literally scrub the car with full strength degreaser, quick tar removal and polished and waxed it using the high speed for the polishing. Car came out like brand new, but it took about 3 hours.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: I only break out the purple stuff if I've got something I don't care about wrecking the finish on (meaning something that will be getting refinished later anyway) or if I have a part so messy that nothing else will touch it -- which is next to never.

8. quamen

quamen New Member

Hmm weird i never had this problem on any vehicle, but of coarse i did only a few hundred vehicles this way using the purple power, mostly auction cars etc. I ran into a little fender staining here and there when doing some auction cars, where damn rags where not placed over the fenders while doing the engine cleaning outside in the sun. Came out easily with the one step procedure i use for these vehicles.

9. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I am guessing you did cars going into Manheim?