Bought a 1996 Mercury Sable. .

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Boomhauer, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

I bought a 1996 Mercury Sable, hunter green color. It runs very nice, but was sideswiped and the passenger mirror is broken off, there's a small dent in the front passenger door, and some paint on the passenger side that was sideswiped.

There is also rust around the bottom of the gas door with the paint bubbled out, and also some rust along the very front of the hood. There are also some scratches on the passenger window andon the top of the passenger door which looks like somebody tried to break into the vehicle at one point. Part of the back bumper also needs to be repainted.

I bought a new passenger mirror from a junkyard and I am having it installed. As far as the other things I mentioned, I have to say, that I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to repainting, repairing, or detailing cars. I can put on a nice wash and wax, but that's about it.

What I want to ask here, is, aside from having the mirror installed, are the other issues something I should even think about trying to fix, or should I find a professional, and if so, how much am I probably looking at spending?

Also, the wash/wax I use is Zymöl. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it?

2. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Have you read the stickies yet? That might help you out a lot.

Pictures of the car would help, kind of hard to say what can be handled via detailing and what needs to be done at a body shop without seeing what specifically you are talking about.

4. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Paid only $2,000. 168,000 miles but the transmission was replaced and is only 40,000 miles old. I'll take some pictures when I get a chance.