MMA Boston Croo: Anyone know heard of the Wai Kru gym in Allston?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Toodles, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

Gonna take my first MT class this saturday with Mark Nardone. I'm pretty excited but a bit nervous at the same time as the only fighting background I have was about a year of Tae Kwon Do back when I was in grade school (yellow belt baby :o ). :hsd:

They offer BJJ classes too with Alex Costa and Dave Ginsberg as the lead instructors. Anyone heard of them? They've got some titles at NAGA and Pan American.

Any comments/word about this gym's rep would be appreciated. :bigthumb:

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Shooto trained there i believe

3. teep

teep New Member

what's your name? i've been at wai kru from the start. i'm pretty sure once i'm back in boston i'm going to rent out the owners apartment and teach part time for a while.

work with kru mark every chance you get. personally, as far as muay thai goes, i think he's a better trainer than delagrotte.

alex is the man. super chill, super friendly. he'll do anything to help you out and make sure you learn. dave is also awesome. a BTT black belt. make nice with all of them.

it's a very chill environment. just have fun and make friends.

oh and... keep this to yourself... but there will be a lot of people trying to help you out for muay thai. ordinarily this is good. but the owner has two babies and in an attempt to just find time off he pays a lot of guys that have no business teaching to hold pads and stuff. Mark Klemm is a good pad holder. So is Damien. you will probably meet them. Kru Tom is also very good, but if you smell booze on him and you're a beginner stay on your toes. he might crack you real good way too hard if you're not ready. Marcel and Doomsday are also very good. If anyone other than those guys try to teach you shit and tell you what to do, and they will, just be friendly, but don't take it too seriously. too many people try to play teacher there.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  4. Toodles

i'm ken :wavey: im not a member at wai kru just yet, but i saw an ad for their MT classes so i wanted to check it out :cool: i do weight training all the time at the gold's next to fenway park, but lately ive been feeling like something's missing if im doing all this heavyass lifting but i dont get to utilize my strength gains. :hs: they have mma classes there only on saturdays, but im not too sure how legit the instructors are since that gym is more tailored for the general public who just want to lose weight.

i live in the back bay by the charles, so getting to Wai Kru by the B line will definitely take some time. :ugh: im gonna see how it goes..i might end up joining permanently if i feel like i click with the guys there. :hs:

are you an instructor at WK as well? or do you instruct privately on your own? and what do you teach? :cool:

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

:rofl: definitely sounds like a person in Allston

I mean no offense to Allston I'm there like 3 days a week.

6. Toodles

:rofl: thanks ill definitely look out for the hobo breath

7. teep

teep New Member

i'm by no means a trainer like kru mark. not even close. but i get paid to hold pads and teach beginner/intermediate guys. i like to think i'm a good pad holder for all levels and technically i'm pretty solid, aside from a few things i need to brush up on. i live in the North End and make it to Wai Kru so you have no excuse haha. just take the B to kenmore and the 57 bus. drops you off right outside the gym and is much much faster.

I had no idea gold's had MMA, but i'm going to say that it's probably not legit. MMA in boston is a small tight nit community. i feel like i would've at least heard about it if it was any good.

lol at the allston jokes, but all jokes aside you can learn a lot from kru tom. he's old school though so lots of things won't translate to MMA if that's what you're interested in even though he might say otherwise.

I'm back in town around the 17th. we should meet up. are you in school?

8. Toodles

yeah i go to the school of optometry by the charles river on beacon. it's midterms week right now, total pita. the snow day yesterday (which honestly wasnt that bad) postponed our midterm, so now our spring break is cut short by a day :mad:

yeah gold's just started broadening their classes recently with mma now. it's a small group of 3-4 guys with this guy (who also works as a fitness trainer there) as the instructor:
    http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/bio.php?gymID=52&eid=3521
    they've got decent sized room with mats, some bags, and some nasty old used stank boxing gloves available for use. dont think they do bjj there, but they do wrestling/grappling, kickboxing, and some other less known martial art styles.

i want to do some kickboxing for now, but the goal is to mix it up with some grappling/bjj/wrestling. not sure which style i want to concentrate on just yet.

oh and NORTH END? :eek5: :eek5: holy shit youve gotta be kidding me. it's gotta take you at least 1.5 hrs to get there and another back right? :eek5: i dont know how you do it man..that commute has gotta suck major balls.

yah we should definitely meet up when you get back from..? :dunno: where are you anyway? haha

9. Toodles

oh snap just read hughes vs. serra has finally been confirmed for ufc 98 with mir/lesnar fighting for the title :bowdown:

10. teep

teep New Member

takes 45 minutes to an hour depending on the traffic. my next place of residence will be significantly closer

in hawaii right now enjoying the warm weather and lack of snow

11. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

i live right down the street...tore my acl there last year :sadwavey:

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

is this the same gym where that good looking asian girl trains in mt??

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

oh nice, healing up on the hand was it?? how is that going? what part of hawaii are you in?

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

wow North End to Allston must suck

I'm in W. Newton so the drive to Allston is a piece of cake. Just parking sucks sometimes.

I want to get [back] into BJJ and/or MT but with only 2 months left until graduation it's kind of a weird situation to join a new gym now.

15. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

if you do go to wai kru...tell that cute redhead that she can be the mother of my babies

16. BritishHumpingWitch

BritishHumpingWitch New Member

Nope, don't know anyone out that way, sorry.

17. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Lol yeah Chi Bang definitely sounds legit. No bullshit on that bio page :hsugh:

18. teep

teep New Member

no that's Vanessa Janjira and Saekson Janjira's place. We don't have any girls that are good at muay thai.

hand is doing ok... healing process is slow. my scar looks like an angry fanged vagina. right now i'm in maui. was in honolulu first, then flew to the big island, now i'm in maui, then going to kauai. spending about 3 and half weeks here

it's not so bad. i get used to commutes and i would meet my main trainer partner at the prudential center first so it was ok.

haha sure thing.

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

gotta thing fo a ginger huh?
    They are pretty sassy....

20. tkluu

tkluu New Member

vanessa janjira is at my gym

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

ohh yea thats right got you two mixed up for some reason

22. Toodles

sprained my left ankle playing ball today, FUCK.

gonna see how it is tomorrow, but hopefully it'll be good for saturday.