Bose Lifestyle 12 & Sony Receiver

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Silent, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Silent

Silent New Member

Currently I have a bose lifestyle 12 and I'm using the receiver that comes with the system, but I'm thinking about buying a Sony ES receiver. Now the question.... On the lifestyle 12, its setup so that all the satellite speaker wires go to the bass box amp, then from there, theres some wires that go to the bose receiver.

Well, with the new receiver, Its easy to plug in the wires from the satellite speakers, but how would I go about bypassing the bassbox amp and getting some wires to connect the bassbox to the new Sony Receiver?

I know its somewhat hard to understand, but in short, I need to bypass the bassbox amp, and connect the bassbox up to the new Receiver.
    [​IMG]

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

in short... you cant

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Welcome to the wolrd of propritary equipment.

No Highs, No Lows, must be Bose.

Its kind of like a Mac in a way. Once you realize how worthless it is...you just gotta throw it away and buy a real PC.

Maybe next time you wont buy the hype, and get yourself a REAL audio setup.

Just some food for thought.

4. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Did you just say... "bassbox?" :rofl:

:)

5. Silent

Silent New Member

I didn't buy it, it was a gift, and I was looking at upgrading, but I guess I'll have to buy another sub. Any reccommendations? :ugh:

I was just hoping there would be a way to do this.

6. 04

04 Guest

I bet there is a way to do it, give me a link to the unit on the Bose website.....

7. Silent

Silent New Member

I've been trying to find info on it, but I just can't find shit for it on their site. Since its the powered subwoofer, I guess they don't just sell that separate like they do the rest of their speakers. :greddy:

I'll be taking some pics of it though.

8. Silent

Silent New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from the pics, all the speakers plug into the sub amplifier, then from there, theres a wire that leads back to the bose receiver.

Maybe theres a way to splice that wire??

9. 04

04 Guest

Yup. But the subwoofer has to be powered by itself. The amplifier for all the speakers and the bass module are all in the bass module box. You could probably modify the speaker wires going to the little cube speakers so that they could run off the Sony reciever.

I wouldnt do that though. Why exactly do you want to upgrade to a Sony reciever anyways?

My personal reccomendation would be to get rid of the Bose system, if you are looking to get better sound. The reciever wont help you any in that department.

I wouldnt go around modifying anything though, because your warranty would go invalid, and that would not be a good thing.

Why exactly do you want to upgrade to a new reciever anyways?

10. Silent

Silent New Member

Theres no modification needed to any other speakers. They will work perfectly fine with the sony receiver. My only problem is that I can't modify the sub to work with it.

Reasons to upgrade to new receiver

-5.1 sound
    -wayy better receiver
    -actually can listen to radio (after years of owning the lifestyle, the screen has gone blank and I'm unable to tell what station I'm listening to)
    -better amp
    -tons of connections for video inputs

I like bose speakers, (I don't need $4k center channel speakers or anything ridiculously expensive) the only thing thats giving me a problem is this sub.

11. 04

04 Guest

Gotcha.

Although the better amp is a moot point, because the Bose speakers are obviously the weakest link. What if you were to buy a new subwoofer instead? Would 100 dollars for a subwoofer be too much? Personally if you are happy with the Bose, thats the way I would go. Let me know if you want to go that route.

12. Silent

Silent New Member

the way I figure it, I have nothing to lose by trying to modify the sub. if I end up breaking it, then so be it, I'm still stuck getting a new one.

So any ideas as far as modifying it? I can post pics on here when I open it up, probably sometime this week. Any help is greatly appreciated.

13. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

it should be pretty ovious once you get it opened up where to hook the wires too

14. Silent

Silent New Member

Negative. I opened it up yesterday and everything is attatched to a circuit board. No actual wires anywhere basically. If its possible, I have no idea how to do it. I'll just say fuck it and get another sub. :(

15. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

loook where the drivers are im asuming you have a corssover jsut plug right into the driver unless you dont ahvea crossover in witch case jsut go buy another sub