A&P Borrowing a camcorder

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I'm going to be using this in July and I was told I could borrow it until then. It's a Panasonic DVCPRO HD P2. They're letting me borrow a shotgun mic as well. Pretty nice camera. I just need to learn how to use it! haha it shouldn't be too difficult. Anyone have one? I was told it's not very good in low light settings, though. What do you guys think?

2. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

i'm pretty sure DVCPRO HD is a recording format and not the name of the camera itself. P2 refers to the cards used to record video files. Check out DVXUser.com and find LOADS of info. If I had to guess, it's probably an HVX-200, 200a, or HPX-170. Very nice cameras! I have the SD DVX-100b

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Video editing takes A LOT of time. You have lots of learning and hours of experimenting different rendering settings ahead of you.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

What he said. Plus video shooting itself takes a lot of time to learn if you want to do it well.

5. hurleyint1386

I don't plan to become a pro over night at all. I'm just looking to learn to use it more in the future. They're letting me borrow it for a while so I can use it and try to learn the camcorder. It's better than learning on a really bad one. It is an HVX200p. They let me take an 8gb P2 card that colds about 8 minutes of HD footage lol but they're looking to upgrade to much larger P2 cards.

Just on a side note, How the hell do I Transfer/Capture the footage into Final Cut?

6. Climbing Cracker

Record at 720 and not 1080, you get more time out of the card that way if you needed to. Or 480, but that's SD. If the HVX is anything like my DVX, you'll need a firewire to transfer the files. Fucking P2 cards are ridiculously expensive. Remember to check out DVXUser.com. Tons of folks using the HVX there, and all very helpful.

7. Climbing Cracker

8. hurleyint1386

I'll definitely check out that forum. I bought a FW400 to FW800 cable last night, so I'm all set with that. I finally got it to capture on to my computer. I was told I had to Log and Transfer with the HVX, but I actually had to Log and Capture. I got a bunch of errors at first about a Timeout error, but someone suggested doing a shorter clip to see if that helped, and for some reason, it did.

The P2 cards are very expensive. That's why we're sticking with tape until we upgrade. I guess they're looking to upgrade soon to a few higher end camcorders and high capacity P2 cards. So far, I'm liking all of this stuff!

9. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

<3 dvx100b, thats a great camera

10. Climbing Cracker

I need to buy a 2nd DVX A or B for wedding season, STAT! :hyper: Know anyone????

11. Climbing Cracker

yeah, you're already over my head with the HVX workflow.:o

12. hurleyint1386

are hvx and dvx a huge difference? I don't know anything yet, but I'm willing to learn any information I can. I'm reading stuff in the forums right nows

13. Climbing Cracker

basically, the DVX is SD. HVX is HD. HVX has more (better) frame rate options, time lapse feature, better color sampling, and other stuff I know I'm missing.

14. hurleyint1386

Oh ok, nice. Sounds like I'm playing around with a pretty decent camcorder haha

15. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

The HVX rocks. Shoot to the P2 if your workflow can handle it - HDV to tape isn't nearly as nice to work with. The HVX200 isn't spectacular in low light, but its not bad. Its outgunned but say, the Canon XLH1, but the H1 can't shoot to anything but tape (HDV)...HD SDI not withstanding. So even though it performs better in low light, and has a nicer lens, the H1 won't produce the quality of footage the HVX does in most field situations.

Also, you bring them into FCP with the 'Log and Transfer' dialogue - works a little differently than a standard tape capture but it's far faster and you don't really have to do anything with the files at that point. I say shoot 720 and just dump the card in between shots. A laptop with a PC card slot will handle it directly (but requires drivers, get them in advance) Or you can dump with the camera & firewire cable. If you can, get a second card. Or rent another card or two, shouldn't cost much. Then, assuming you have an appropriate laptop you can have someone else log/offload the cards while you're still shooting. Depends on the circumstances of your shoot though, this may not work (definitely won't if you need takes longer than the card can handle, obviously).

Ultimately, the camera will shoot great looking footage but as usual, the person operating it is the most important thing. Don't whip it around all over the place or you'll end up with a high res home movie :big grin: Um. Oh, and white balance your shots. And put it on a tripod or other support whenever possible. And zoom as little as possible within a shot. And stuff.

:dunno:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  16. hurleyint1386

I believe I'm shooting 1080i right now. I'll need to look into changing it to 720p. How long should I realistically get on an 8gb P2 card shooting 720p? In July I'm going to be doing a wedding and switching out the P2 card and transferring it will be a pain in the ass. That's why we have about 6 tapes each. P2 cards definitely aren't cheap. :hs: