SRS Bored with life, envious of others and probably wasn't proactive enough

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nicklol, Aug 20, 2009.

1. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

First, I am in my 5th year in college in Chicago. Lived in 3 different areas of the city during school and enjoyed each area. I work time that pays decent and allows for decent amount of discretionary spending while I pay rent, save and thankful for mommy to cover school.

I don't get envious of other peoples' material wealth but rather their experiences. I go log on to facebook and get updates to what my friends and people I'm not sure how I know them are up to. Studying abroad or just some amazing life experience. Four friends from high school biked coast to coast in a month and a half and filmed their experiences into a documentary. Another friend from high school that I sadly don't talk to much anymore is in Italy for a year taking in culture. Friends from college went on to various places to study abroad. A close friend came to Chicago last year for the summer to do an internship and then went on to study abroad in China (our ethnicity) and is staying there for rest of the year. We've been talking that I would visit her over the summer but it didn't happen and she still wants me to visit over my winter break. I'm not sure why I don't, I don't quite have the money for it but my mom says she can take care of it for me, no big deal.

So, here I am feeling bored with life even though I haven't taken any initiative to do so. Posting this on a message board makes me feel slightly better hopefully with suggestions and encouragement that will ensue but it is still up my own iniative. It feels like I could also seek out new hobbies and experience new things.

2. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

I apologize for the grammatical errors, it is late and I can't sleep.

I feel like should should have study abroad anywhere and regret that I can't. Or regret that I just didn't blow my meager savings on some awesome trip to an exotic location. I've remained here in here hanging out with friends from back home or school and all we do is go out to bars and house parties and drink but it doesn't excite me.

3. HoVa

HoVa New Member

finish your schooling, get your degree and get a job.

then you can go do wonderous things such as bike ride across your city or swim naked across the pacific ocean.

being in an adventure once doesn't satisfy anything. have the spirit of adventure in your everyday life.

how often have you just gone to some random restaurant by yourself, sat down and ordered something you couldn't even pronounce?

how about going to see a play at your local theater and maybe even liking it?

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

also you gotta remember nothing is ever as bad as it seems or as good as it seems :dunno:

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

fucking . man

While studying abroad is fantastic, you can absolutely do that later on as well. Yeah, it won't be with a bunch of college students, but why not go with a couple of your friends and promise yourself to just ABSORB the experience? Instead of being thrown together with a group of people, go SEEK OUT the types of people you want to meet.

I did not go abroad to study, but I have been to Europe over a dozen times (have some family there) and when I'm there I make it a point to just feel free to meet really random people.

You won't have CLASS to worry about, or DEADLINES, or the social pressure to go get blackout every night while in such great cities.

As cool as pictures make things seem, a lot of times they are just an illusion. Sure, ANY experience of getting out of your dorm room is more good than bad, but I will say that only a handful of people of the HUNDREDS I know who went abroad consider it a truly life changing event.

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

grass is greener on the other side of the fence

get your degree and take a month or two off to travel b/c once you start working its going to be hard to ever do that...wish I could've done that but had no money to my name and no one was paying my way

7. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I know how you feel man. :hs:

8. seismic

seismic New Member

Think of the experiences you're having that other people don't get to have.

If you want those experiences, you have to go get them. Just talking about them isn't going to make them happen. :)

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Don't worry about it, as others said its the grass is greener idea, but while you are watching other people's grass, your letting your own grass become brown to rot, so in other words 'tend to your own grass instead' , here's my take on it, take kung fu lessons, grab a packback and travel thru europe. And do this after you've got your degree,

You know there's always this idea of 'my life is boring' but what that in reality comes down to is that you need a 'get up n go' attitude, if you are bored it simply means your not doing enough effort to do something. If there's nothing to do, you must 'create' something to do. Organise a party, spend your time gardening, learn how to play piano, or to cook or paint, build a ship from lego , or redecorate your house. Tons, of things to do, just do it.

10. CrispyGame

CrispyGame Stop staring at my avatar.

You can take out 'life/fun experiences' and replace them with 'professional experiences' (other people getting good internships, starting actual careers or legitimate businesses even before graduating, and I have been able to do none of the three) and that's exactly what I have been feeling, and still do. In fact, I've become so self-conscious of shit like this that I've deliberately dissociated with the very people that might've eventually helped me - the business frat that turned me down; the students that got the internships/jobs at the firms I wanted to; and the people who find it necessary to subconsciously brag about themselves on Facebook that I just want to tell them to shut the fuck up.

Granted, I do enjoy the job I have, but it doesn't really feel like a career (or at least not yet; it's a startup), but one of the aspects that irks me a bit is whenever someone new joins, everyone has to hear what he/she accomplished: i.e. publishing fiction novels, or having investment banking experience and becoming a consultant for the company. And it just seems to drive in the point of how useless I consider myself (though apparently only just useful enough to still be working there).

11. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

I read what I wrote and wow, it's barely comprehensible and I sound like some bored, spoiled college student from a middle class upbringing. I use to be really self conscious about money, status, material possessions growing up but I think less so now. I just want a comfortable lifestyle that I enjoy doing hobbies and taking trips and not flaunting flashy shit that I see some of my friends are caught up in.

Past two years, I got my start in my IT career and it doesn't seem that interesting or exciting but I think I can find an interesting niche in it, whatever that means. Working did not allow me to go abroad.

So I guess in the past 4-5 years of school, I didn't feel like did anything interesting or exciting and it kinda depresses me. Next year when I graduate, hopefully I can go to see part of the world for a month, meet new people and enjoy. But in the mean time, I live in a big and diverse city that I haven't explored all of. Not just the areas that are trendy or where school is but there are ethnic neighborhoods I could sample food. I feel like I need an adventure to stimulate me.

12. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

That is so fucking true. I'm just going to say this to myself every time I get jealous of others.