A&P bored tonight, so i made a lampshade softbox

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Jun 22, 2007.

1. redna

redna New Member

Well, i was waiting for my girlfriend (still waiting) to get home so i became bored.... So, I took a little trip to Wal Mart and bought some stuff.

A lamp Shade of the square variety
    Some white material that heavily resembles that of a real soft box
    Some 3M velcrow
    Some angle brackets

My plan is to create a back similar to that of a speed ring that will mount to my flash head so i can use this for product photography, macro shots, etc...

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Results using my dogs ball

Afterthought: I found that I lose about 2 stops using the softbox. The first picture was all flash at 1/16, the second was flash and softbox at 1/16 power and the third was flash and softbox at 1/4 power.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, i attached the fabric to the front of the lamp shade via velcro. It pulls tight. I set the fabric on the ground, lay the lampshade on top of it face down, then pull each side up as to get the tightest front I can.

I didnt notice a hot spot in the center... and it seems to work well enough.

Total cost: $11.00

I plan on finishing it off by cutting out the crosshairs (for lack of a better term) and mounting a piece of wood with a cutout the same size as my flash head. Then I'll put angle mounts on the wood and create a platform at a 90* angle that my flash will sit on. I'll install a 1/4 20 bolt so that my flash platform can mount to it and be sturdy. Then I'll create a mount for my light stand. voila.

2. redna

redna New Member

All shots were taken at 1/60 f5.6

3. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

Pretty cool idea. I've made soft boxes out of foam core before but I like this better. I can't believe I didn't think of it.

You can get all sorts of weird shaped lamp shades at used furniture stores that would work good for this.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

pretty cool

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

nice makeshift box

6. t0tz

t0tz New Member

pretty neat man.

7. redna

redna New Member

The more i use this thing the more I really like it... It seems to work really well, I'm going to try and trick the girlfriend into posing for me tonight to see how well it works on portrait type stuff.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

8. GMosher

GMosher New Member

LOL! Awesome. I'd be interested to see how it works in a portrait application.