GUN Bored on a sunday and never shot any gun before...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fahrfrumlosin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

Picked up my 92FS last week and have been dying to go, but I'm feeling a little uneasy going by myself for the first time ever. Should I go with a somewhat experienced shooter first or just grab my balls and go. I know the basic rules of shooting at a range - always point the barrel of the gun downrange and all that. I got my ear and eye protection, ammo and cleaning kit...should i just go??

2. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Just go.

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Yep. It won't be any easier going with someone...you'll still worry about the same shit. As long as you know the basic rules and how to handle/reload/clear the gun, have at it.

4. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

i never really understood why guns intimidate some people so much. Just assume the gun is loaded and don't point the dangerous end at anything you don't want to kill.

It won't jump off the bench and shoot you :)

5. GOGOGOGO. You'll have a good time. Just take your time and think everything through.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think you should have an experienced shooter with you the first time out.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The first time I went I rented a gun at an indoor range/store. The guy I dealt with was super cool and answered every question I had. I had never even held a gun before that now that I think of it. He said if I had any questions or problems, set the gun down on the bench pointing down range and come get him.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I second the "bring a more experienced shooter notion" that way if you have any problems or questions you can simply ask that person. It's always good to have someone else watch you shoot so that you can spot problems early on and fix them so that they don't develop into bad habits.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i want a 92fs :hs:

10. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

yes

/thread

11. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

so did the OP have a ND at the range?

12. fahrfrumlosin

fahrfrumlosin OT Supporter

negligent...i dunno, tell me what you guys think, i grabbed my balls and went afterall.

1st run
    [​IMG]
    2nd run
    [​IMG]
    3rd run
    [​IMG]

Overall I think i'm getting better. Not bad at least for my first time out - I was really nervous at first and was just focusing on following the range rules / gripping the gun properly and not shooting myself or someone else. I always kept the barrel pointed down range or to the floor. Made sure when reloading I did everything properly. No jams, shot about 50 rounds in 20min and called it a day as I didnt bring more ammo. Overall a very fun experience, never been to a range before and man, someone brought a shotgun and that everytime that was discharged, even with full earmuffs and plugs, would scare the living shit outta me. The guy must've been 4-5 stalls from me and I could feel the shockwave.

*EDIT* I primarily went for a barrage of headshots or chest/heart shots. Anything not chest or forehead was definitely a matter of me not properly gripping or aiming properly.

I'm open to tips and feedback.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Definitely an improvement over the first target...

Now that you've got the first-time jitters out, when you go back just worry about trigger control and taking your time.

Focus on that front sight and pull the trigger straight back with steady pressure.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned