SRS Borderline Obsessive Compulsive?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, May 1, 2007.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hello...

Not sure if I have OCD or not. But in the last 6 months or so I have noticed that I think about stupid shit and obsess a little over it. More so things around the house. I cannot relax until all the house work is done. I cant relax unless things are put away, like dishes, laundry, shit laying on the counter. I think that part of it is because my fiance and I are in a smaller townhome so we have limited space. I have always been a cleaner person, and it drove my messy room mates crazy in college. But lately I noticed that my need to clean and have things done around the house right away when I get home is affecting my fiance as well. She is getting more and more upset with me.

The other thing that I notice is that my mind dwells on these things. Like right now I know that there are dishes from dinner in the sink downstairs and I want to go do them before bed. This bugs the shit out of me. Why am I acting like this? Suggestions? Thoughts?

2. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

It could be a mild case, but it's really hard to say. I'm obsessive-compulsive (mostly obsessive, I don't have many compulsions) and there's LITERALLY not a minute in the day that goes by that I'm not thinking about my particular obsession. My thought process is mainly focused on it; it's fucked up. I ruminate and analyze and try to figure out what this or that means. I look at little things and blow them way out of proportion. It causes stress, anxiety, and depression. It's not fun at all.

Your situation might be minor enough to nip it in the bud. I'll tell you this, the more you let it be an issue, the deeper it gets, and the harder it is to get out of it. I would advise you to take some steps to let things go. You may want to look into purchasing "Brain Lock." It's a great book for OCD and outlines a 4 step process to help overcome obsessions.

I think the biggest thing here is think about the worst case scenario: what's the worst thing that could happen if you don't clean up? Accept that possibility and move on. Clean things because they logically have to be cleaned, not because if you don't clean them, something bad will happen. For instance, those dishes in the sink need to be washed eventually; you don't have to clean them now, but why not? It wouldn't be bad to let them sit for a while; that's perfectly fine. If you have a free moment and if it wouldn't interrupt something more important currently going on, then maybe you should wash them. Dig it?

3. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Anyone else?

4. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

1. Go see smeone professional.
    2. It sounds mundane, but put a nasty elastic around your wrist and when you start getting "obsessive" thoughts stretch that elastic around your wrist and give your wrist a good zing with it. The zap with the elastic should change the channel.

I have a friend who is obsessive, a checker (checks and re-checks ad nauseum), but he went to a shrink, does the rubber band thing, and it seems to have lessened). He told me the Doc wanted to put him on some medication but he declined.

There are some schools of thought who believe OCD/Obsessive thoughts is a sign of stress.

Then there are some people who are just naturally neat freaks.

If you are unncomfortable with what is going on inside your head and it is starting to cause other problems, then I would definately seek our someone professional to talk about it before it takes over your life.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I'm no psychologist, but I think officially OCD would have to be characterized by some kind of ritualistic behavior, such that it impedes your ability to function normally in life. This would be like if you washed your dishes, sat down, felt like you had to wash your dishes again... and again...and again.

What you have is pretty common I think. I have some of that too... I've had days where I check to see I have everything turned off when I leave my house. I drive to work then start worrying I didn't have something turned off. I've driven all the way back home to check before.

I don't think this behavior is normal per se, but I don't think it's truly a bad case of OCD. The way I handle my case is to make a habit of conciously acknowledging I've done everything I need to before I leave the house...I'd think to myself, "OK, everything is turned off I'm fine..." then I close the door.

For you, if you're a neat freak...I don't see anything very wrong with that. Just clean what you can and then make a concious choice to tell yourself not to obsess over those things you can't deal with right away. There's always tomorrow. Laundry a day late won't suddenly sprout wings.

Use the rubber band idea if you have to just to jog your mind out of that zone.

6. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I'm very ritualistic and OCDish when it comes right down to it. When I wake up, I do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way, every... single... day. I eat pretty much the same things (yes, there's variety) in the same order, my weeks follow the same pattern and I browse in the same order. Any questions?

Throw in a case of Asperger's and you have good times indeed... :big grin:

This behavior doesn't mess with my life: I'm perfectly happy with things the way they are, which is why I think I've settled on this routine and keep doing it.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Has anything significantly happened to you lately? Anything upsetting or stressful? Just wondering because you say you've been clean for a long time, but these obsessions are more of a recent thing.

8. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

That's a very good point which I did not touch on. OCD used to be known as the "doubting disease" and can make you doubt the most basic things, or believe untrue things, or disbelieve true things. There are people who have an obsessive fear that they have HIV, for example. They will get negative test after negative test, but still they believe they have HIV. That is the very nature of OCD.

So yeah, if you were cleaning, and finished, and thought "Oh shit, those dishes might still be dirty. I might have had dirt on my hands when washing them, so they're contaminated; I need to wash them again," then that would be easily be OCD.