booting problem, please help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deaddweeb, Jul 14, 2006.

1. deaddweeb

deaddweeb Gundy, Gunder, Gunthy, Goonter, Günder... GUNTER! OT Supporter

Hey. My power went out for a brief second at my house, dunno why, its clear and sunny here. But now my main comp won't boot up when I restart it.

It will get through the first step of booting and when it gets to the Windows XP loading screen, it just keeps rebooting itself.

What is causing this? Please help before I go insane :mad:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's a corrupted registry, I'm 99% sure of it. My mom's computer did this and the only cure was a reinstall of Windows. If you reinstall into the same folder as the original Windows, you won't need to reformat first. You will need to reinstall your programs, though, because the old registry that used to store their settings will be gone.

This is a very good reason to keep a backup copy of "reg.dat" on a recordable CD (even if you don't keep a complete backup of your computer), so you can simply replace it by swapping your hard drive into another computer and copying the backup onto your comatose hard drive.

3. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

Had the exact same problem at work. Had to reinstall.

4. deaddweeb

deaddweeb Gundy, Gunder, Gunthy, Goonter, Günder... GUNTER! OT Supporter

ok, thanks for the answer. I have no idea how all of a sudden a quick power outage could have done this. I higly doubt that its any shorted out hardware, cuz everything runs and boots just fine.

If I reinstall window, without reformatting, I will be safe on keeping data such as pictures and such, correct?

I tried to do recovery console thing but had no idea what I was doing, haha. So I was trying to get my XP cd to work to repair windows or reinstall, but my disc kept giving me a "data.sys" error or something like that. I am taking it to a computer shop tomorrow just to double check and hopefully if its just windows, I'll get a new copy of XP.

Thanks! :wiggle:

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

It could happen if the moment the power went out the registry was being edited by Windows. Anyways, yeah your pictures will be fine if you just re-install without formatting.