Booting off a SATA drive using win2k pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by killaGTP, Jun 1, 2004.

1. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

I just recently acquired a ABIT KV7 mobo and a WD 120gig SATA drive. I tried installing windows on the SATA drive but I can't get the install crap to recognize the SATA drive. I did the f6 option to install other devices drivers and that still didn't come up with anything. I eventually gave up and just used my old IDE drive. Windows sees the drive and everything but I was hoping to come to a resolve on my issue. ABIT's support sux ass and was no help so I was hoping someone on here has some helpful ideas. I flashed to the latest bios today and still no luck.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

after you press f6 did it not find the driver on the floppy?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

That's weird - I never had to do anything special to get my SATA to work. Worked right from DOS - same with SCSI. If you can't access the drive using fdisk, then it's not recognizing it in the BIOS as a drive.

4. killaGTP

who uses floppy anymore? its a bootable cd.

i had everything in the bios on. it would see it on boot up but the windows install still couldn't even with the f6 thing. it doesn't have the drivers needed for the sata i guess.

5. wrex

wrex Guest

Yeah, use F6 then it will need the floppy. It worked on my ABIT board and SATA Raptor drives.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, as above, when you press F6 during setup, you NEED to supply the driver for the SATA drive. It will not find it automatically. My old motherboard had Ultra 66 IDE controllers and Windows setup could not detect the drive, so I had to use the floppy disc that came with the board to install the drivers so setup could detect the drive.

Even though the BIOS will detect the SATA drive there, Windows setup may not.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Maybe it's because I ghosted an image of the install files already being dumped to the drive, instead of installing it from the CD. :dunno:

8. killaGTP

sooo grab the drivers off the cd and stick it on a floppy then try it. hmmmm. what if just leave the mobo driver cd in one drive and windows cd in the other?

9. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Doubtful that will work, I needed to copy them to a floppy drive as that's the only option windows gives to load them from when doing the intial install.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

You know if you do have that old drive like you said, you could do exactly what I did. Go ahead an install Windows on the old drive, but after the first restart after it has copied the temporary install files to the drive, restart the computer and ghost that image. Throw that image onto your SATA drive, change it to the boot drive and windows will install as normal. Unless there's something special about my ASUS board :dunno: . But going forward, it's a much faster install than waiting for it to dump all those files from the CD to the HD.

11. cybertron

cybertron Guest

I have an Abit IC-7G and its as simple as slipping the disk in, hit f6, select driver, loads, finishes loading windows and thats it, install from there. at some point you will need to copy of the cabs or the windows install will, so you're going to have to spend that time anyways, all that extra stuff just seems like a pain. unless you wanted to have this around for later installs when windows decides to be a pain. But for that, I have found that I dont likes and I use whats called, unattended install. and man does it rock. I cant install all my programs, but with unattend, i can install all my basic software, text editor, archive util, image app, cdburning app, and a bunch more. and once i spend the time on one setup, i never have to do it again, and when new versions come out i just put those on in place of the old ones and the next time i install, all is good :) I've used the same cd with maybe a few minor mod's about 5 times. very useful. consider it takes at least 3 hours to do all that stuff manually. and you can even add all the hotfixes so u dont have to download them, but i was lazy and figured my cable modem would be fast enough to not worry about that. :)
    http://unattended.msfn.org/

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No. MUST be a floppy disk.

13. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yeah, i had to do this last night. pain in the ass that they don't allow you to browse the cd drive :rant2:

14. redrumkev

redrumkev New Member

Word :bigthumb: