booting from CD via window's boot.ini

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ekimbaby, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ekimbaby

ekimbaby chef

Hey there,

just got a college issued laptop. came with windows :(

went to install BSD on it, to find that i can't modify my boot sequence in the BIOS. the HD is the only thing in the boot order, so pulling drives isn't gonna help. the BIOS is passworded, and as the laptop is an IBM, it's not a simple "pull the battery to reset the CMOS" problem. The password information is stored in the EEPROM. That's not a simple task to flash.

I cracked the Administrator password on the laptop with l0phtcrack (they had LM hashes enabled --- idiots), but unfortunately, that password didn't work on the BIOS.

I know that I can just transplant the HD to another system, install BSD on it, then move the HD back and have to do a bit of configuration, but I don't want to do this for some odd reason.

So I must ask, is it possible to boot from CD via the window's c:/boot.ini?

2. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

if boot.ini is there, then chances are it has not been formatted, that is one of the things that gets erased first of all (with windows formatting program at least)

but your best bet would be to search around. you can clear the cmos through jumping some of the pins on the parallel port (i think its 8 pairs of pins that have to be jumped) but i cant remember the sequence

3. ekimbaby

ekimbaby chef

whoa whoa buddy, this hd hasn't been touched yet. 100% clean windows install.

and i already told you. IBM has a big anti-theft initiative, so they make it extremely difficult to change lost supervisor passwords. unless you pull out the soldering iron, the only option is to replace the motherboard.

4. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

not according to what me and my brother did the other day to an ibm laptop.

there is ALWAYS another way to get past security features. one of them on ibms, is bridging a few pins on the parallel port on the back of the computer.