booting a laptop from an external HDD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MZ2215, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

i've got a program i want to run that won't work on XP MCE for some stupid reason. luckily i've got a 10 year old machine sitting here that has XP Home installed on it. problem is the box is 10 years old and it's not recognizing the cat5 cable and is just basically slow as mud. the HDD in it is a new(er) 80 gig seagate, so i was thinking of harvesting that, and putting it in an external enclosure.

my big question is: is there a way i can put that hd in an enclosure, then hook it up to my laptop via usb and be able to boot off that HDD since it has the XP Home that i need to use?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

You won't (unless things changed) be able to boot Windows from USB. When Windows loads, it dumps the USB ports.

Why not just put the disk inside the computer and choose which OS to boot from at startup?

3. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

because it's a regular hdd and i want to connect it to my laptop.

hmm looks like i need to find another way

4. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

i wish i still had the xp home disc. i may just have to wait till friday when i can get a copy of xp pro from my dad

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There are ways to get Windows to load from a USB flash drive, I have one right here that works. If they can get that to work, you can get an external HDD to work as well.

6. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

that's what i was thinkin. what's the smallest flash drive that could be used?

7. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

i'm gonna try to find a cheap wireless antenna for the dinosaur and see if i can get the updated downloaded first. maybe i'll just set that box up to do nothing but deal w/the zune

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

How did you get it to work? I was wanting to try this a while ago but didn't get anywhere.

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There was a writeup on teh net that I followed. If I recall there were core XP files that got switched with Server 3003 SP1 files. That was really the only thing, everything else was just like making a boot CD. I did it with my Ultimate Boot CD for Windows ...