Boot up question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by [DWI], Jul 29, 2004.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

my laptop has the bootup selection for 2 operating systems . . . at one point there were 2 OS one of the C: and one on the D: but the C: has had a clean install and the D: formatted yet it still gives me the menu even when only one of the options still exsists, is there a way to fix this?

2. miek

miek Guest

Which boot loader is it? If it's Windows XP, you probably need to edit C:\boot.ini. It's a hidden file.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

you'll have to edit the boot.ini file and remove the entry for the one that no longer exists.

edit: yeah. what he said. :)

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

what needs to be done the file reads like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    deffault=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition1(1)\windows
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows "Mircrosoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows "Mircrosoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I'm pretty sure I delete the second one but I don't want to royally screw things up :o

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

my vote would be for the second one too, but let's ask the audience first. :)

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery Settings. You can either un-check the first box to have it not display the list of OS's or hit the edit button and delete the line you don't need.

IMO, I'd just un-check the top box and be done with it or hit the edit button and set the timeout to 0 (both do the same thing) If you delte the wrong line, you have many more problems.

BTW, the bottom line is what you should delete. Disk 0 is the primary drive and Disk 1 is the second.