GUN Boot knife

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spyder007, Sep 4, 2003.

1. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I'm looking for a new boot knife to wear on duty. I wear bdu's, sometimes bloused, sometimes not, just depends on my mood. I'd like something that could be used in and out of the boot, if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i have this old Gerber "boot knife". i don't think Gerber still makes them, lots of cheapo versions out there though. Just a belt clip sheath, which clips over the top of my boot and then is secured by my laced wrapped around. Hand me down from my old man, seen both blood and better days. ;)
    [​IMG]

Gerber makes the Guardian boot knife which is another decent ~$50 "poker". (Which is what i'm assuming you want a boot blade for?) If you are willing to spend $70-150, check the Knifemakers Fixed blade corner at Bladeforums.com, find something with the handmade touch. :cool: Nice pieces pop up all the time there, i think its only a matter of time before something finds its way to my door.

Also, the Benchmade Nimravus or Nimravus Cub would be ideal blades in the ~$80-100 range. i might be able to get one at dealer cost if that interests you.

This Buck-Strider would be a great blade too, but you'd need to find a different sheath to make boot carry practical. Maybe have Blade-Tech whip something up.
    http://www.gpknives.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=14&products_id=402

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, i was going to say the benchmade nimravus if kelly didn't. but he did. so i'm too late. i don't know how well this would go on or in a boot, but the ka-bar shorts are available with any combination of kydex or leather sheaths, serrated and non, and elastomer or leather handles. they may be too bulky though, i'm not sure. i've never tried to wear one near my boots.

4. spyder007

thanks, I don't really need it, but you can never be too prepared!

5. kellyclan

Incidentally spyder, you asked this about 3 days after i've started a hunt in earnest for a new blade to replace the Gerber above. This evening i'd just met with a guy in state here who has a MMHW T-4 PDT

i'm getting one. :eek3: Ultimate boot knife, i have found ye.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the only problem i can see that one having is if you hit bone, like a rib or sternum while thrusting, there is nothing to keep your hand from slipping right down the blade. your gerber has a hilt to stop that. other than that, it looks like a very compact knife with just the right length. it doesn't look like it is in the pictures, but i'd prefer that upper section of blade be sharpened too. if i'm going to have a thrusting weapon, i'd like it to be double-edged.

7. kellyclan

One one i saw was false edge sharpened, but you're right, i don't believe they come that way. Easy enough to fix.

The two finger grooves do a great job of keeping your hand locked in and it's narrow enough that it levers itself off narrow bone. You aim for soft spots anyway. ;) My main concern with the MMHW is how thin it looks between the finger grooves, but it feels quite sturdy and for the anticipated uses, i don't think it'll be a problem.

8. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

9. kellyclan

Aw, how cute.

2.5" :love:

:big grin:

10. spyder007

This is actually gonna be used more for untangling the dog in shit than for trying to stab people, as well as cutting seatbelts, etc

11. kellyclan

Do you want a fixed blade? Do you want boot carry? i think a serrated sheepsfoot/partial sheepsfoot folder or even a leatherman wave (which has said sheepsfoot among its blades) would be most ideal for a utility blade to hack rope, cloth, brush, wire, etc while minimizing worry of poking your partner with the tip.

Take a look at the BM 550 or the Spyderco Rescue
    My current favorite :big grin: BM 940
    Maybe see if one of the BM dive knives can be found? :dunno:

12. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

:mad: :rant2:

(but i do love those benchmade dive knives :drool: )