boot file corrupt in my laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fade, May 19, 2004.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

so i was cleaning up some spyware on my laptop when it decided to overheat (for the 4th time). after i restarted the computer, it says unmountable_Bootdisk_error or something like that.

so my boot file is corrupt right? is there anyway i can slave the laptop hd from my desktop to retrieve all the files before i reformat the computer?

another quick question. i bought a 3year warranty with best buy, will they replace the computer since it's overheating so many times? it shuts down at least 3 times a day. the amd processor in there was just not built for a thin HP laptop. or will they bitch and try to send it to their warehouse and try to fix it?

thanks mangs :bigthumb:

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Use an XP CD to boot to the repair console (it is XP I asusme, you didn't say). FixMBR and FixBoot might work.

As for Best Buy, laptops are not DEVO ( or whatever they call it where they just swap it out and send the dead one to the vendor) and would have to be sent in for repair 3 times for the same problem to lemon out for replacement (they credit you what you paid basically). Unless there is something from HP stating it is a problem and offering a fix/replacement. Of if you purchased it within the last 30 days. They you could return it.

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

whos the girl in the av? :o

what if im leaving the country for a while and i dont have time to get it fixed? i know its a recurring problem, ive already had it replaced in that 30 day period. HP put out a bios update that kinda fixed it, but the laptop just sucks

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You can try. It would be up to the CSR and manager at BB. Their policy on those is that it has to be in for repair 3 times during the coverage period.

The girl is Allison Mack, who plays Chloe on smallville.