Boot Camp/Fusion

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Mantis Toboggan, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan New Member

Ok so my end goal is to have XP installed on my Pennryn MBP, running on both Boot Camp and VMware Fusion. I have an XP Pro disc, but it doesn't have a service pack on it. I believe the first step is to install XP on bootcamp, but the instructions tell me that I cannot use a version of XP earlier than SP2 and then just upgrade it.

Is there any way I can use this XP disc? What the hell do I do?!:sadwavey:

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

you'll have to burn a copy with the updates slipstreamed into it, google on how to do that.

3. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Fuckin' legit! :bowdown: Thanks.

Now after working on it for 4 hours straight, I've got everything running including Fusion. Now another question I have is that XP is only recognizing 512mb of RAM when I'm running Fusion when I have 4 GB in my machine.

And also when I select to install VMWare Tools, my computer basically does nothing... If I have the Fusion disc in my optical drive, it just pulls up the disk in finder. If I don't have the disk in there, nothing really happens. XP kind of sits there and the mouse cursor goes back and forth between the pointer and the hour glass. Any ideas?

4. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Never mind on VMWare tools, I got that to work. But still, any way to get XP to recognize more than 512mb? It is the 32bit so I know that at max it can only recognize about 2800mb, but still, that's WAY better.

5. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

And for some reason my system clock is showing 11:09 AM when it is 3:09 PM here. Anyone experience issues with that after installing Windows or Fusion?

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it happens sometime, mostly because windows is too lazy to re-sync time on startup.

7. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Yeah but it's also happening in my Mac OS. I dunno...I manually adjusted the time so it seems fine now, hopefully it doesn't revert back to that.

8. Go into the time and date settings in XP and change the time server from time.microsoft.com to time.apple.com

9. mymail5082

mymail5082 Banned

i know with parallels you set how much ram is allotted to the virtual machine. i'm guessing fusion is the same way and its not a windows issue. try checking the preferences

10. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: all of the virtual hardware can be configured in the Virtual Machine menu.

11. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Word, got it! Thank you immensely Mac Shack :bowdown:

12. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Alright, more issues now :wtc:. Ok, the changing the server to time.apple.com thing in XP didn't work, and if I do it in VMWare, when I try to manually sync it it says that an error occured while connecting to the server.

Also, when I open up Diablo 2 within VMWare, it opens fine. However, for some reason it cannot connect with the USEast, USWest, or Europe servers. However, it connects perfectly fine to the Asia server. My ports are forwarded perfectly fine, and it also works perfectly when I boot up XP from Boot Camp.

Any help = :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

13. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I think VMWare is doing something with the connection since it works fine in Boot Camp.

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

is your virtual NIC set to NAT mode or bridging? Bridged will probably work out better for you, it makes the virtual OS appear to the network as having it's own NIC instead of routing your packets through the host OS.