Boosting a received wireless signal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by patrickkrebs, Dec 11, 2003.

1. patrickkrebs

patrickkrebs Guest

Ok heres the deal - I need help with this. Say my wireless signal is only being picked up at like 20% strength. So the network is going in and out, fluxing. Now, #1 - I can't put signal boosted at the origin for whatever reason -#2 I would like to boost the signal from my end is there a relay I can buy - lastly - is there a way I can use a second wireless router to receive its internet connection wirelessly from the first? (a kind of makeshift booster)

Can anyone help?
    Thanks.

2. :rolleyes:

"I'm stealing my neighbor's wireless hookup and I need a way to get through the trees between my house and his"

3. patrickkrebs

patrickkrebs Guest

I didn't say that.
    (In keeping with board rules)

4. no, you didn't. just because you didn't say it doesn't mean we're eager to help you steal network access.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

External antenna is probably all you need...

Although if you're going to steal someone elses bandwidth, at least educate yourself on the technologies (might want to check the laws too - this is illegal in PA and maybe Michigan).

Also, don't be a dumb ass and screw with their gear or computers - PERIOD. This is the fine line between "hacking" and being a "theif". So don't ruin it for others.

6. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Indeed Astro, well said.
    People in general need to educate themselves on the wireless phenomenon and it's openess to attract people looking for free use. Mine is tight, needs MAC authentication and is 128bit encrypted. Another idea is to change the SSID to something unusual instead of the router type which gives more clues as to how to get in.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Its one thing to educate yourself so YOU'RE gear/network isn't abused, but its also another thing to actively go out and abuse other people's gear.

I don't care what you do with YOUR network. But if you're coming onto OT so you can ask how to abuse someone else's network, then thats just not right - you shouldn't be abusing their network in the first place - regardless of how you gain access to it, even if it is wireless.

8. G.I.R.

G.I.R. Guest

Everything you guys are saying is true, but I do own a home wireless network and I would like to know more about the boosting. The signal on my computer is fine, but others in my house have laptops, and when they get to other parts of the house they tend to get a weaker signal. I want to know different options for boosting. Are there options for boosting from the router? ARe there simple ways to boost from the laptop, or near the laptop? Astro mentioned an external antenna, what kind are you talking about? I thought I have heard of making somekind of makeshift ears for my router, but I don't know how well that works, and I think when you do that it makes the router's signal more directional, I want to boost the signal in all directions. Any help would be great and I am talking about my home network.

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm not an electrical engineer, but to increase the signal in all directions requires more power. I have a friend that has a signal amp on his, but I believe he was a ham operator so he knows what he's doing. But I'd say its all about location. We went wardriving and it wasn't until we were two houses before his before we picked up his signal. He was rather disappointed when we picked up one of his neighbors from HIS driveway who he knew lived 5 houses down from his. Looking at their router config, it was an out of the box router that didn't even appear configured. So we're pretty sure they didn't have any amps on the router.

So I'd go with the cheapest thing you can do and change the WAPs location. Next thing to do would be to change the antenna's on the wireless NICs. Some nics have more power available to them for listening and broadcasting then others.