Books on building speaker boxes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guardfather, May 15, 2004.

1. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

I know of "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", but not any others. I don't know if TLDC is even any good for modern applications, though I'd think it would be, with the 6th edition.

Any recommendations? Good sites/programs that would help?

2. 04

04 Guest

Are you wanting to build low frequency only or fullrange cabinets?

I have the LSDC (6th edition), and it is very thorough. Theile and Small did their work on deriving small signal electromechanical parameters for use in enclosure simulation back in the 1970's, and it is still the most widely used and accepted driver model even today. Even though newer methods such as the Kipple and Dumax measurement techniques have come out in recent times, but they are still expensive. So basically what I'm trying to say is that the loudspeaker hasnt really evolved all that much in the past few decades, at least IMO.

Here are some links you may want to follow:
    http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
    http://www.bcae1.com

If you are wanting to build a fullrange speaker system, I really reccomend getting the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, although if you have never built any speaker system before, I would suggest a kit or otherwise proven design to start out with.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

"car audio" it starts off with the easy general stuff, and towards the end it gets into the pysics and math that you'd need to design ANY kind of box, along with some designs for ported, sealed, push/pull, and any other combination of enclosures.

allthough the names of products listed are 3 years out of date, it still gives you a good idea of what's out there product wise too.