Books and/or exercises to use for C++?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Symphony, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Symphony

Symphony If you take the blue pill, the story ends.

I'm starting to learn C++. I think that my biggest issue is that when I sit down to do something, I simply don't know what to do. I can't think of anything I could run myself through just to see if I can do it.

So anyway I'm looking for some sites or something that have C++ exercises on them. I think it's pretty importaint that I keep working on this stuff if I want to do it for a living, and not just the stuff I need to do for class. I'm also looking for some good books to read on C++ in general, just for expanding my knowledge.

Any help would be appreciated :big grin:

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Head over to Barns and Nobel or whatever your local bookstare is and look. There are tons of books on the language. Find one that looks like you will be able to understand it and has some good examples.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

4. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

you can also find a lot of decent tutorials on the net - I have found that a lot of professors put their class notes, assignments, etc. on the web but don't protect it at all

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

C++ For You++. As stupid as the name may sound, it's actually a really good book (I'm on chapter 22, writing AP Comp Sci next month).

6. Symphony

Symphony If you take the blue pill, the story ends.

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone :big grin: Much appreciated!

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

if you just wanna mess around, write programs that you dont need...just to keep busy and learn new techniques and learn new things...

one thing I usually like to do just to mess around is write a phonebook program the hardest way I know of that I havent done before...

example I learned basic java in school, didnt touch on databases...so what I did for 'fun' is I challenged myself to write a phonebook with addresses, using everything from radio buttons, to text fields...save it all in a access DB in one full weekend

I got it working alright, was actually a LOT easier then I expected...

so ya pretty much challenge yourself to do simple stuff in the hardest way you can think possible, set boundaries you know are gonna be VERY hard to achieve.

8. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it