GUN book recommendations on handgun shooting?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dobis P.R., Aug 31, 2008.

1. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

are there any books out there that would be worth reading? I'd like to learn how to shoot more accurately.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html

While many of these are competition shooting oriented books, they are all awesome for learning to shoot fast and accurate.

Now they don't really work so much on the mechanics of shooting. Such as stance, grip, sight alignment, and trigger pull. They all discuss it in maybe a chapter or two. These books primarily deal with mindset and the subconscious mind. It is popular to use the term "mindset" in defensive shooting training. There is no way for me to say thing without sounding like a arrogant competition shooter but the competition shooting books go way beyond this. In competition shooting it was recognized long ago that when you shoot for speed or shoot under stress that it is 90% mental. To get top speed you need to shoot subconciously. Meaning that your not thinking, or trying. It's like driving your car. It kind of does itself, you feel detached and your observing. It's almost like your watching a movie. Still if anything happens like a car jumps in your lane you react automaticly and swerve out of the way or hit the brakes. This is a subconcious reaction and when we shoot we operate in this zone. Shooting is all muscle memory, index, and self preception. There are whole chapters on self image, mental programing, it gets real deep, like philosophy. I cannot do it justice but you can only shoot under pressure as well as you believe you can shoot. I should do a write up on the various shooting books and DVD's but here is a short version.

With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham
    This is the book that many of the other shooting books draw off of. It is written by a Olympic gold medalist shooter. It deals heaviliy on concious and subconcious mind and mental programing.

Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos. This is the competition shooting bible. There are several chapters on shooting stance, grip, shooting on the move, and sight alignment and focus (sight picture 1-4). About half the book is on mental programing, self image, and concious and sub concious mind. This book reads like a deep philosophy book. Not always a easy read (except the chapters on mechanics.) I've must of read the book cover to cover a dozen times and individual chapters many times more than that. If I read the book after several month or years after my ability improves I get something new or different each time.

Perfect Practice and Refinement and Repetition, Dry Fire Drills for Dramatic Improvement by steve anderson. These are dryfire practice books. Pages on pages of dryfire drills you do at home, and some live fire drills you do at the range. These are the techniques we practice to shoot faster and more accurate. If you actually make a routine of doing these drills as a regiment you can get very very good.

Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch. This is a very well written book on competition ipsc shooting. It talks about everything with less heavy philosophy. It points you to the other books to get that but stresses it's importance. This book talks a lot of match strategy, preperation for a match, nutrition, mental programing, relaxation drills, and how to plan and track your improvement in training.

I own and read all these books. If you are dedicated and serious you do need to read them all.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I believe about half of Jeff Cooper's ideas and thinking is obsolete now.

For example since this thread deals with handgun shooting Jeff Cooper would have you believe that the push pull weaver stance and grip is the way to go. Obsolete...

6. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I agree about Weaver being eclipsed. But Cooper's points about mindset being key, and alertness, plus the line about "it does not take muscle to control a sufficiently powerful defensive pistol, just skill" is still true. And in his later writings, he focused a lot less on "Weaver > *" and at one point (IIRC) said something like "I favor Weaver. But that doesn't mean that you can't shoot well with other stances, too."

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

We should make a thread to discuss mindset. The term gets bounced around a lot and I'm interested in how many people understand it, think they understand it, and how it differs from defensive shooting oriented and competition shooting oriented.

Who here is qualified or believes themselves to be qualified to speak on defensive shooting mindset? I would say shacklemenot but don't know if he still reads or posts

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I've read a few of the jeff cooper books many many years ago in College. They actually had them at the university library believe it or not. Anyway don't know how many people know but Jeff Cooper grew up in Los Angeles CA, educated in California, and is credited with inventing practical shooting competition. The ipsc/uspsa stuff I'm always babbling about.

I think I should get his books for my library.

Another thing you probably don't know about me is a read a lot.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

And postalot. :rofl:

10. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:cool:

I read To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth as "summer homework" between my freshman and sophomore years at UC Merced (this was not very long ago). Also On Killing (Col. Dave Grossman). Looking to get some more diverse selections on the subject though.

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I just ordered "Surgical Speed Shooting" as it's been recommended to me by a few people.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

He's probably one of the only ones I would say would be qualified for such.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I definately feel I'm qualified to speak on mindset but there maybe some concern that it would be heaviliy bias towards competition shooting. I have read 2 of Jeff Coopers books and I've taken 3 defensive shooting courses.

Maybe I start writing the mindset thread and then PM shacklemenot.

As much as people use the term mindset I really am interested in what people think it is.

14. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

IMO, being willing to, if necessary, end another person's life by whatever means are available. And the alertness and awareness to see it coming (to either avoid the situation, or be able to at least enter it on your own terms)

15. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

The Shooting Missology DVD from www.tacticalresponse.com is good. It's not a book but it's still a good resource on shooting errors.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

well since we are now talking about DVD's you can go to smartflix and rent all kinds of shooting DVD's.

http://smartflix.com/store/category/18/Marksmanship

The matt burkett dvd's are real good but more oriented towards competition shooting (fast accurate and while moving).

They have some tactial/defensive shooting DVD's including tactical response.