bonding 2 cable modems? Need suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IllAvBIll, Oct 11, 2006.

1. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

So I pay 40/month for 8mbit cable from comcast and they burst it upto 3MBps sometimes. I want to get another one and combine them so i can have a 16mbps connection or more. A neighbor and i are going to share a fast ass connection hopefully.

Any body know of any programs that could do this? I have a few extra computers that i can set up to just be the routing box but i'm clueless as to what programs would work. I've searched pretty hard and have come up empty. Help! My buddy set something up like this a few years ago in linux i need to pray he still has the scripts. But any suggestions?

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Cable is shared. You would be sharing the same bandwidth... twice. Without running a routing protocol, which you will not do, you would need two different types of connections... 2 DSL lines maybe, cable + DSL, and then the only way to share them would be by alternating your outbound connections between the two.

3. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Nice thought, but bad planning. Peyomp is correct. If you want a fast connection, you'll need to shell out for a t1 connection to your home and then if you want to screw over the company, run a link to your friends house. Fiber would be the way I'd go for that run.

4. mrmegabyte

mrmegabyte New Member

Good Idea....two cable modems will give you a hell of alot faster connection, I've done it. The the way to do it is to get a Dual Wan Router, then you have a KICK ASS FAST connection....but 15 to 30 minutes later, the speed with just drop, well it does where im at. The only thing me and my friends can think of is, Adelphia aka comcast...saw two modems with the same host name, and capped the speed, slower than what we pay for. Each router broadcasts its own host name. So if you look into getting a dual wan router check to see if you can set the host name of each wan port. If so, you'll be in buisness :)

5. 7960

7960 New Member

rather than pay $80 for two modems and possibly have a faster connection but definitely have a big headache, why not call them and tell them you want a faster connection? They'll sell you as fast as you want.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

I pay $50 for broadband. The next speed up (for me) would be a business rate and that's $95 (and not worth it, to me).

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It would seem you didn't read the first few posts. Cable signals are shared throughout the entire neighborhood. If you have two cable modems connected together in the same neighborhood, you're just opening two pathways to get to the same bottleneck. If your speed actually went up when you did this, then you must have been using older, slower cable modems that couldn't handle the full speed of the connection you were paying for.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, yes and no. Yes they share bandwidth, but no you would not hit the backbone cap. Usually the cable modems are capped well below what the backbone in the neighborhood is running at. As long as that is the case then using the two would be faster.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

In that case: DO IT. Get two cable modems and a router box that can share them in the manner I described.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It would rock for multi-session downloads like bittorrent. Wouldn't do much for regular downloads though.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

True, but in many situations you can get the full throughput. Using an http/ftp client that opens multiple connections, etc. Firefox can be configured this way. Bit Torrent, etc. Plus traffic on one won't clog the other.

13. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

oh shit. I just searched for my own topic. I was so fucked up when I made this I forgot about it :rofl: lemme read it and see if i can get anywhere

14. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

:ugh: I get 1MBps right now on my Comcrap constant for $40 and 1MB constant on my click connection. T1 is for business not me. Way too much money. We're reverting back to a fedora core 1 install and a script he had working 3 years ago.

7960 - i am getting the fastest they're offering me. :sad2:

15. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

Sorry, I didn't give much info in my first post. I have 2 connectoins right now. I put together a nice little file server/router/load balancing box the other night w/ a friend who's a genious w/ this shit. We tried to get it working with fedora core 5 but they stopped using the nth command in iptables after core 1 so we have to revert back to that and firewall the heck outta it and i'll have what i wanted.

I originally didn't want another computer but just put together a silent ocmputer to sit in my room w/ the modems to be the router.

In all my research every single friggin dual WAN router is just for failover.

My buddy's script assigns every other packet to go out either the eth1 or 2, interface. The server gets the request from two different IP's but it sends the requested info back to each modem that asked for it. Then the box routs the packets back to the requesting computer.

16. 7960

7960 New Member

you called and specfically said "I want a faster connection?"

17. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

A guy I work with has a dual wan router that does bonding. I'll ask monday what it is if you are still interested.

18. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

:rolleyes: no i'm just going through the pain in thte ass complicated shit i am doing and havent tried to just get a faster connection.... Yeah, they don't offer anything higher than what I have. Since we have two companies in the area, comcrap sells their 8meg connection for $40/month *for 6 months* and th other company which i've been w/ since the get go does thte 8mbit for $55/month.

19. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

if its a computer that he does it with i'd love to know.

20. CodeX

CodeX Guest

WIAT WAIT WAIT.... are you guys crazy? For the cable modem to even WORK AT ALL on the network its mac address needs to be registered with your ISP. Do you think you can just plug any old cable modem into the line and be set with a connection? Fraid not, doesn't work that way. This will not work, not at all.

There is a crapload of misinformation in this thread...

*edit* nevermind, I just read the whole thing and realized that you actually want to PAY for another connection... at first I thought you just wanted to hook another modem up to it lol. Just spend 10 bucks more than you would here and get the commercial service

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2006
  21. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Shared medium yes, but the caps on the modems are far below the potential throughput of the cable plant.

For the original question:

Without controlling both ends of the connection (in which case you would get a cisco router on each end, setup multilink PPP and be done with it) the best that you can do is load sharing. This means that you have 16mbps of total bandwidth, but are limited to 8mps per layer 4 stream (aka download).

22. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

the commercial service around here is the same shit :hs: but 2xmore money

23. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does it actually work? It seems to me that splitting half the data packets and ACKs would cause problems with the remote server's TCP stack....potential security problem with a single TCP stream being redirected to another IP.

Also you could potentialy be creating all kinds of problems with delay sensetive applications (VoIP, online gaming) when the data streams take two different routes.

I'm thinking what is happening is he used iptables with NAT to split every STREAM to a different NIC, not every PACKET.

24. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

yeah, i'm not truely "bonding" them but i'll have plenty of download. The script my buddy wrote sends some packets out eth1 some out of eth2 etc. I've seen 1 download going really fast on his side before.

He just called :noes: said he found what he needed for his script in a new patch released last week for iptables and 64bit fedora :noes: Will post some screenshots when we work all the bugs out.

but even if you were(you aren't) right on the connection thing then i'd still be in the clear becuase I use newsgroups with a fwe connections :o

25. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

Some applications will be pissed the info is coming from different places and the latency differences might be a bit of a problem for gaming BUT we're also putting Qos software on the machine to route VOIP over the same interface all the time with 100% priority etc. Its gonig to take some time to get working perfectly but man will this be nice