bodyweight exercises? minimizing strength deficit

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by uofapeter, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Does anyone throw in bodyweight routines into their workout?
    I've been practicing planches and one handed handstands to try and decrease my strength deficit. does anyone have any tips, advice, or something special I should work on for this that yields good results?

2. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

there are two types of strength basically, Maximum Strength and Absolute Strength

Maximum Strength is how much muscle fiber your brain can consciously activate when lifting

Absolute Strength is how much potential your muscle fiber actually has if you were to run an electric current through it and make 100% of your muscle fibers contract.

Strength deficit is the difference between the two.

Body builders tend to have a very high absolute strength, but a relatively low maximum strength

athletes such as gymnasts tend to have a less high absolute strength, but their maximum strength is much closer to their absolute strength (their strength deficit is much smaller)

interesting article about it here:
    http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.html

This is why i've been trying to do bodyweight exercises. I would like my maximum strength to be much closer to my absolute strength, (lower my strength deficit)

3. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I've been working on doing Planches, after that thread on gymnasts. So far I can hold the frog stand for about 45 sec. I kind of try the front levers but they own me.

4. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

Hey...I'm finding this interesting. Did you find anything else in your quest for knowledge?

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Not really, i was hoping to get a discussion going to see everyone else's opinions but it doesn't look like people are too interested. i was reading the article on one handed chinups from Timberwolfs log, i might try to add that in as well.

i have an e-book on martial arts body weight exercises but I am looking more for gymnastics static strength training, thus the planches I have been working on.

6. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

read the first article before, havent read the second... ill get on it. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.