Bodytype + Genes v.ex-h20polo/swimmer

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by rolandal, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Hey there,

So a little background on me. I have been pretty skinny my whole life, never had much fat on me. I think partially this is because I have been super tall my whole life, and am now fully grown at 6'9'' and 220lbs.

I have always been in shape, played sports (waterpolo and swimming) even 2 years into college. I just started my own business and am trying to finish school at the same time, so I had to drop sports.

As far as my genetics, I have never done a situp (well not on a regular basis) in my life, as still I have a resemblance of a 4-6 pac.

Since I am no longer doing sports I want to start to eat right (I am a college student whos whole credo is the easier it is to make and prepare, the more of it I eat. ex: microwave everything). But I also want to bulk up since I have stopped growing, I think I can finnaly put on some pounds (because before no matter what or how much I ate I never gained weight). Additionally, my little brother just started playing polo for USC, and although I still have the older brother strength, if I don't keep up he will surpass me and that is :nono:.

I will be getting a gym membership @ my college next semester, and am wondering what things I can do to prepare for when I can start lifting there.

If I had to fault one thing in my body is my lack of upper-arm bulk, as well as wrist size; my build is lanky.

Anyone have any ideas on what direction/things I need to do/read/etc to get me pointed on the right path ? And is there any hope to bulk up with my kind of body type?:x:

Thanx guys

This is a picture of me and my g/f for comparison.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  2. Searcher

Searcher New Member

If you are 6'9" those chicks are over 6 as well.......Crazy........

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:werd:

4. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

post nudes of girl on left or ban.

5. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Well, I am leaning over; they are both close to ~6ft (5'11'') and wearing heals :noes:

6. rolandal

rolandal New Member

I knew I shouldnt have posted my picture with girls in it ;)

Anyways the middle one is my g/f, the one on the left is her bestfriend/roomate/mygoodfriend.

[​IMG]

7. valvefloat

valvefloat OT Supporter

wtf shirt

8. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Hmmm All wtf shirts.. what's going on ? Must be a 60s-70s party :slap:

9. rolandal

rolandal New Member

K no more thread hijacking ... can anyone answer the questions or advise me?

10. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

that's what bulking is for

small wrist size makes your muscles look bigger

www.elitefts.com - anything and everything

www.bodyrecomposition.com - bodybuilding and powerlifting forums, as well as any of Lyle's books

www.t-nation.com - anything by Dave Tate, Christian Thib, Chad Waterbury, Eric Cressy, a few others that I can't think of

other stuff too, but my brain is fried right now

yes, body type doesn't mean shit.

11. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Thanx Shasta. Would you say it would be to my benifit to get a trainer for a bit to get me going on what lifts I need to do and make sure Im doing them right?

12. shastaisforwinners

honestly, it depends. Most trainers only know how to teach old ladies how to circuit train and use stability balls. A better option would be to have a friend that knows how to lift properly teach you. Or study videos/pics/descriptions of proper lift technique and try to mimic that. I didn't have anyone to teach me any lifts, I learned them all by that technique.

13. shastaisforwinners

Try to find a workout partner when you start going to the gym, but make sure it is someone who is serious about going. This will help immensely with your motivation, as well as being able to correct form, spot you, and tell you if your balls are hanging out of your shorts when you're benching :hsugh:

14. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Hmm I'm transferring over to UCSD, so I don't know anyone there into weightlifting. Guess I'll have to find that one my own :)

Is there anyplace online that can keep track of my diet/calories/workout and all that stuff? I am hoping it would give me suggestions also onto what meals to eat and what to buy at the stores, because I am the worlds worst cook/meal planner etc.

15. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

16. shastaisforwinners

www.fitday.com - great for tracking meals and finding calorie content of food
    www.calorieking.com - also good for finding calorie content
    www.bulknutrition - the ultimate supplement site

when bulking:
    total calories = 15-16x your bodyweight (maybe more, since you are an ecto)
    protein = at least 1g/lb of bodyweight
    fat = fat is good, monounsaturated is best
    carbs = simple, complex, whatever, just eat them

look at labels on everything, track your calories. I don't have a lot of variety in my food choices either, so I know the protein and rough calorie count of whatever I eat.

It's really simple to gain weight. Eat big, lift big, get big. Don't overanalyze the details and forget the big picture - that is what keeps most gym rats lifting the same weight year after year.

17. rolandal

rolandal New Member

It seems like fitday is more for weight loss? Does it also incorporate workouts(it shows how much burned, but does it get more specific than that, does it need to?).

18. shastaisforwinners

not sure, I don't really use it actually. Maybe someone who uses it will give some input. As far as workout goes, I usually try to write it down as I work out. I write down the lifts/sets/reps, and how it felt (light, ok, heavy, too heavy, etc). Helps you get a feel of when to up the weight, move stuff around, etc.

19. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Thanx for the tips Shasta. Anyone have any other imput ? I would love to hear!

20. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Use fitday to keep track of calories, it works fine even if you're trying to bulk. Use the training log subforum on here to keep track of your workouts and progress, how you feel, etc. You should be able to get some good feedback in your training logs.

Make sure the core of your workouts are compound lifts, not bicep curls. You do want to get bigger arms, but you want to be able to support those bigger arms first. Squats, deadlifts, bench, pullups/rows are what you'll want to focus on.

21. rolandal

rolandal New Member

Fitday seems good then. Is the online version fine, or should I go for the software version? Do you guys bring pen and paper into the gym to record what you're doing ? Seems kinda silly to me, but if others do it I guess I'll have to as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.