Bodylanguage crew: what is happening in this pic?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Tell me what you think and then I'll tell you the background behind this pic.

[​IMG]

What does it look like these two guys are doing? What is each person subcommunicating? Why? What is each person's relative social status? Why? etc. etc.

Don't answer if a) you know what is going on in this pic or b) you know the story behind this pic

2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

The guy on the right needs to shave, the guy on the left needs to shave, get a haircut and lift some weights.

That was my oppinion on the picture, don't care about what is going on in the picture.

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i was initially going to go with "guy on left is leaning back and is in position of power and guy on right leaning in is interested and loses a bit of value".

but past that basic glance it seems ot me like the man on the left has his elbows tucked, hands in his lap, taking up a small amount of space, is almost averting his eyes down while he's talking, and rather than comfortably leaning back seems to be backing out of the other man's space.

man on the right seems to be dominating the positions and has his elbows flared, taking up space, could actually be slightly leaning back while still imposing his body on the situation, his eyes appear level on the other man's face, though his posture is a lil scrunched over.

also, why do both men appear to have a closed fist?

4. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

:ugh: you gotta be kidding me

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

elaborate on why you think the post is a joke.

6. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

:rofl: I just googled this, now I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to accomplish with this thread :rofl:

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's what I thought, too. But then I was like "well, leaning back is supposed to = position of power," but my gut feeling was that the guy on the left was acting timid or submissive, like you said:

Exactly.

I agree that the guy on the right seems to be dominating.

Probably due to the nature of what they're discussing, which I'll tell you about in a while (I want to let a few more people have the chance to reply first).

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:rofl: I'm trying to find out what people think is going on in this pic :rofl:

9. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

falconer, you are the epitome if someone who over analyzes every possible situation.

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

God dammit why post in this thread if you're not going to post something on topic?

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I didn't read anyone else's responses because I didn't want to taint my initial response; not that there's much!

I don't know or care what they are talking about, probably D&D....but the guy on the right is the more confident one.

12. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

leaning back is sign of power/confidence, but only when combined with other clues

guy on the left has slumped shoulders, so obviously he is not powerful or confident

i would suspect that guy on the right is counseling guy on the left, and guy on the left is hesitant to believe the message he is receiving

or perhaps is is listening intently and has not been won over yet to the new way of thinking

13. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

My honest answer on this (assuming I didn't actually know what the pic was from) would be that this pic was taken sometime in the 70s (quality of pic and what the guys look like) and they are in the middle of a drug deal (guy on right has it in his hand) and they are just trying to seem nonchalant about it.

:dunno:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Ok.

In 1971 there was a psychological study called the "Stanford Prison Experiment" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison). Basically some people played "guards" and other people played "prisoners." The guards were told they could do whatever they wanted but no physical violence was permitted.

As you may have guessed, things quickly got out of hand (read more at wiki). Guards even volunteered for more hours of work without pay, and many were upset when the experiment was conluded early.

Here's an interesting paragraph from wiki:

That pic is from a followup meeting between one of the most abused "prisoners" and one of the most abusive "guards."

It's interesting how their bodylanguage, even two months later, still reflects what was happening during the "experiment."

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rofl: I learned about that shit in Intro to Psychology

16. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

where's my cookie.jpg

17. lauren

lauren Active Member

zimbardo experiment reunion, right?

opps, guess i should read the thread. :mamoru:

18. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

lol I was also....I recognized the experiment pic immediately.

Too bad he told the answer so I couldn't look all smart n shit. :( :rofl:

19. giz

giz Active Member

After looking at it for about 10 seconds, I actually felt bad for the guy on the left.

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I learned about it late one night while I was looking around on youtube. I'd never heard of it before.

Oh and I can't remember where I read/heard about another study that was done with children in schools. Where they gave students certain tests then arbitrarily separated them into groups and told the kids it was based on their performance on the tests. So some really smart kids were placed in like the B or C groups and some B and C students were placed in the A group.

The kids tended to performance changed based on the groups they were put into. So the smart A kids that were in B and C groups did worse on future tests and the B and C students that were put in the A groups did better and better.

I remember the results were quite dramatic but it's been awhile since I saw/heard about it so....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007