Bodybuilders with great back development who don't deadlift...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JeremyD, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I got into it with someone about this today. In all actuality, I beleive the deadlift is hands down the best lift in the universe. If I had to pick one movement to build my physique, it would be the deadlift. BUT, there are ton's of guys out there who have awesome back development that can barely deadlift a plate off the floor. I see it all the time.

The only reason I bring this up is the fact that I'm thinking about dropping deads completely during my contest prep and picking them up again during my next mass phase. This doesnt mean I'm gonna lift like a pussy. I just feel in such a calorie deprived state, I can't afford the extra recovery time needed when I'm already training 6 days a week.

Your thoughts???

2. arpz

arpz New Member

weighted pullups are pretty wicked for back development too.

I agree with you though deadlift takes a lot of energy and uses way more muscles than just your back. It's a solid compound exercise.

3. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I haven't deadlifted in a long time due to lower back injury and I just noticed my back doesn't look much different because of the Mike is lazy double bi thread. I dunno. I do cleans though.

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

You've been in the game long enough. If you feel it's necessary, then do it. I don't do deadlifts on a constant basis and I'm still seeing decent back progress. Nevertheless it is an awesome exercise and I recently started doing them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.