Bodybuilders are slow

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Uglybob69, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Exercise physiology has made me start looking up a shitload of stuff I never thought about before.

Anyways:The purpose of this study was to investigate the long-term effects of high intensity resistance training on myosin heavy chain (MHC) isoform composition of single fibres. Muscle biopsies were obtained from the right vastus lateralis of eight bodybuilders (BB) and seven physical education students (PES). Histochemical analyses were used to determine the fibre type distribution and the fibre cross-sectional area. MHC isoform composition of single fibres was determined with protein electrophoresis. The percentage of fibres expressing MHC IIA and MHC I/IIA was larger in BB (P < 0.05), while MHC IIX was completely absent (P < 0.05). In contrast, myofibrilar ATPase histochemistry only revealed a significantly lower percentage of type IIX fibres in BB (P < 0.05). The muscle fibre profile in the vastus lateralis muscle of BB may represent an adaptation based on the mechanical and biochemical demands of the long-term resistance training.

I looked up an old study that said this was true and found this one, published THIS YEAR.

Fuck?

http://www.springerlink.com/content/xm35757073121w4v/

Thoughts? I'm also going to look around for a similar study in olympic weightlifters and powerlifters to see if the results are the same. For olympic lifters it seems especially counter-intuitive.

Cliffs: Bodybuilders had NO (or very little) type IIx (the fastest fibers) and a greater amount of type IIa fibers considered to be fast twitch but not as fast as IIx.

2. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

I would hypothisize that my body is mainly fast twitch fibers, based on my horrible endurance...but the more I work on the vanity muscle mass, the more "filler" tissue I will develop, if that makes sense

3. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

4. knucks

knucks Active Member

so what is your point?

5. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

I found a study that said bodybuilders were more likely to have the gay. confirm/deny?

6. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

That standard weight training can make you less explosive so you need to train specifically if you want to be strong/fast/explosive.

edit: I also wanted to pick other people's brains here that are smarter about this stuff than I am.

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

IIX % decreases with training and increases with detraining, in power athletes as well as bodybuilders

8. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Then how come it took you so long to climb up that hill?

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I read that, it doesn't make sense to me. I was reading also that taking time off from training can raise a sprinters IIX fibers a shitload. I'm guessing that doesn't realistically translate into any kind of actual performance increase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that is a figure in my textbook, makes it seem like it would mean something

10. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I blame a lack of cross-sectional area in the gastrocnemius

11. slipangle

slipangle i like girls with firm tofu

add plyometrics to the workout mix?

12. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

if a true body builder started doing plyometrics then his goals would get shot to shit, plyo's serve no function as far as causing hypertropy in muscles, and that's the whole point of bodybuilding

13. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

blah blah blah

14. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

If you want to be faster and more powerful.

I also just read something that bodybuilders have more type 1 slow twitch fibers than powerlifters and other power athletes. But when what you're after is big muscles it's beneficial to work all fiber types I guess.

I'm a little foggy on the ability of specific types of fibers to change their typing. My book is very unclear and I haven't had the time to look up the studies it cites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.