A&P Body works, lens jammed - replace lens or buy all new...?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Dec 23, 2009.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I bought one of these when they first came out - Sony Alpha 100. I understood the basics, but probably 95% of the time I used it in AUTO mode.

[​IMG]

The zoom on the lens is stuck and while it will still take pictures, I can't operate the zoom.

So...I'm looking for the next purchase.

Looking for your opinions as you guys (some of you) are the experts.

Should I buy a new body and lens? Is this body worth saving and just getting a new lens?

I don't want to spend money, just to spend it, but this would be a business expense, so I can justify spending some $$$ if I have to. Right now I am trying to figure out how much this is going to cost, then I will determine when I can afford it.

I will be taking action shots (sports) from a distance of no greater than 100 feet. I don't have a need to zoom in on someone's face, but their entire body would be nice from that distance.

I know I have a lot to learn in regards to operating the camera and I will do that in conjunction with my search for the right camera.

What power zoom lens would you recommend?
    Should I keep the Sony body and just get a lens?
    Shoudl I start from scratch and buy body and lens? It seems that Canon and Nikkon are more common...which may make the lenses a little cheaper - and more choices.

I would like to be able to print the photos when I am done, but they will be primarily used on the web (facebook, website, etc)

Thanks!

2. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Get the lens fixed and buy a zoom. I don't think you need a beast of a camera, so this should still be fine (you didn't mention any limitations on the body that annoy you).

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

I'm happy with the way the camera (body) functioned.

Not knowing much about this...just didn't know if I should go out and spend $$$ on a nice zoom lens, then have body that isn't too par (quality) as the lens.

Is this a decent camera?

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Just buy a Tamron 17-50 for it if it still works to your standards. :dunno:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

1. You're using the camera in auto mode
    2. Zoom is broken

i'd say spending more money is not an option for you. leave the body alone since a new body won't yield you anything more than you currently have and find another kit lens so you don't throw away money on something more expensive.

6. Cesium

Cesium OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13918/1280; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Does this body have the screw drive af motor built in? If so i have a tamron lens for one of these laying around.

7. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Or find out how much this one is to get repaired. This just seems like a big P+S for him so spending the least possible amount is prob best.

8. YourMomOnRyeBun

True to this point, but I will be actually taking the time to learn how to use it properly now. My required use of it has changed somewhat and I will need to take the time to learn.

9. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

From Sony the repair on the lens will be AT LEAST $100.