Body Weight vs. Iron

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JumboJym69, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

It's always a big debate, and I didn't see any other threads in here. Is it better to exercise using just your own body weight or is lifting free weights and shit better?? Personally I just do body weight at high reps/till failure, I feel that I have no desire to look like a body builder or anything. I have also heard that lifting weights does make your big and strong now, but it is hard on your joints and might cause lots of pain later in life. Most of you guys seem pretty serious, so what do you think and why?????

2. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

This idiot i work with always brings up how Hershel Walker only did push ups and sit ups. Even it that's true, I'm sure he's 1 in many who can be conditioned only by doing this. I throw Jerry Rice's dedication to exercising in his face, because up until a few yrs ago he never got hurt.

3. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    This will no doubt get refuted if wrong, but I read you have to work with weights above 70% ~ish of your 1rm to make strength gains. i.e. you can do 5lb curls all day long, but they won't help you get stronger

4. Galt

Galt Mindless Philosopher

lift weights
    /thread

5. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

It does look cool if you can do handstand thumb pushups though. Or finger pushups w/ your legs in the air while smiling...

6. SteveO

SteveO Guest

people who debate this are retarded, the choice is obvious which is better

7. Coconut Endo

Coconut Endo OT Supporter

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

First off all, so you can do 100 pushups and 100 pullups but can you pick up that heavy ass solid oak bookcase in your living room if it were to fall on your wife or child?

Second of all, you come into a forum which is frequented by a handful of hardcore powerlifters, body builders and strongman and expect to not get a skewed response to your question.

You are dumb on more then one account, also you are the asshole for asking such a dumb question. Ask any doctor light weightlifting builds muscle mass and bone density making you older life more enjoyable.

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

you must know some good doctors. Every doctor I goto will blame an injury because of weight lifting

10. SteveO

SteveO Guest

resistance, higher amounts of stress. Overtime your body is going to adapt to body weight and demand more stress for growth.

11. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

Thank you for having a converstation with me like a sane human being. I understand that you can gain the most strength from lifting weights. But do you think that lifting extremely heavy weights, even though you become very strong, puts your joints and connective tissue in general under dangerous stress levels?

12. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Lifting heavy will put a certain amount of stress on the joints but it will also strengthen them.

Bodyweight exercises can be great for conditioning, but not really adding muscle and functional strength.

13. SteveO

SteveO Guest

no, if done properly it strengthens them. It's not like you're just going to go out and bench 500 lbs. Your body works it's way up to it. This is why people on steroids usually have joint pains because the gains (weight) and strength increase so dramatically your body can't adapt fast enough.

14. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

There, I cleaned the thread up some. I know we get some stupid noob questions occaisonally but this guy wasn't being an asshole about it and seems to be genuinely seeking an answer, no need to flame the shit out of him repeatedly.

15. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

I'm just wondering, don't most branches of the military use mainly body weight stuff for PT? Marines and stuff seem to have some pretty functional strenght.

16. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

You're correct the USMC PFT is a measure of ones ability to move their own body around. But, I know a decent number of Marines and other various military personel and the majority of them lifts in order to become stronger and bigger while still maintaning their endurance. The point of this is in the event of hand-to-hand combat if two people have similar training and ability but one person has 40 lbs of muscle on the other the bigger one has a better chance of surviving.

17. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Hmmm... most weight trainers will not have the strength to do some of the strength moves gymnasts are capable of. And I don't think the path one takes to get to a certain level of strenght necesserily will determine whether joints and connective tissues will be protected from dangerous stress levels. Doing the iron cross or planche for example I don't think necesserily does your tendons and ligaments any more favour than benching 300lbs.

18. BW exercises take on a somewhat inverse ratio when compared to weight training... Meaning: The more fit the participant, the more weight they lose, the more reps they have to perform to maintain a certain level of fitness...

BW exercises have their place, among the likes of circuit training, and cardio where the goal is along the lines of reduction of body mass. To put on mass, you need to challenge yourself beyond BW.

but come on guys we all know the "Total Gym" is teh hawtness!!1!@!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.