Body physiology info regarding muscle recovery.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by grantorino, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grantorino

grantorino New Member

Taken from the Article "
    [​IMG]"

Here art two you might like.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The more you work out, the more you'll grow.

No, no no. This is one of the most damaging myths that ever reared its ugly head. 95% of the pros will tell you that the biggest bodybuilding mistake they ever made was to over-train--and this happened even when they were taking steroids. Imagine how easy it is for the natural athlete to overtrain! When you train your muscles too often for them to heal, the end-result is zero growth and perhaps even losses. Working out every day, if you're truly using the proper amount of intensity, will lead to gross overtraining. A body part, worked properly, i.e. worked to complete, total muscular failure that recruited as many muscle fibers as physiologically possible, can take 5-10 days to heal.
    To take it a step further, even working a different body part in the next few days might constitute overtraining. If you truly work your quads to absolute fiber-tearing failure, doing another power workout the next day that entails heavy bench-presses or deadlifts is going to, in all probability, inhibit gains. After a serious leg workout, your whole system mobilizes to heal and recover from the blow you've dealt it. How, then, can the body be expected to heal from an equally brutal workout the next day? It can't, at least not without using some drugs to help deal with the catabolic processes going on in your body [and even they're usually not enough .]
    Learn to accept rest as a valuable part of your workout. You should probably spend as many days out of the gym as you do in it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The longer you work out, the better.

It just isn't necessary to do 20-30 sets for a body part, or even 10 sets like many 'experts' would have you believe. In fact, research has shown that it's possible to completely fatigue a muscle in one set, provided that that set taxes a muscle completely, i.e. incorporates as many muscle fibers as possible and takes them to the point of ischemic rigour where, rather than contract and relax, the muscle fibers freeze up, sort of like a microscopic version of rigor mortis. Any further contraction causes microscopic tearing. Hypertrophy is just one adaption to this kind of stress and it's naturally the kind most bodybuilders are interested in.
    This kind of intensity can usually be achieved by doing drop or break-down sets where you rep out, lower the weight, and continue doing reps until you either can't do another rep or you've run out of weight. It can also be achieved by doing your maximum number of reps on a particular exercise: by a combination of will, tenacity, and short rest periods, you complete ten more reps. You achieve the short rest periods by locking out the weight-bearing joint in question without putting the weight down. In other words, completely surpass your normal pain and energy thresholds. If you can truly work your muscle to the point described, it will afford you little, if any, benefit to do another set (Westcott, 1986). The exception would be the body parts that are so big that they have distinct geographical areas, like the back, which obviously has an upper, middle and lower part. The chest might also fall into this category, as it has a distinct upper and lower part, each with different insertion points.

Enjoy, you future Olympians! :fawk:

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

troll troll troll your (oh shit wait you're like 500 pounds so you probably cant row a boat/stay afloat in one can you you fucking worthless excuse for a human being) boat.

4. grantorino

grantorino New Member

Not even any originality with the flames? Come on, man. You can do better.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I love the references to ANYTHING in the articles you post. I can write a god damn article stating whatever the fuck I want too.

6. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

Eat shit and die.

7. grantorino

grantorino New Member

Here's an idea. Go to the website that the article came from, and write the authors Bill Phillips and TC Luoma (not Bawich, who copy pasted it) a nasty little email. Im sure you know more about bodybuilding and training than they do.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30lies.htm

I didn't write the article. I just put it in your face. Dont like it? Cry to them, not me.

8. grantorino

grantorino New Member

translated as "i have absolutely nothing clever or witty to say, so I'll go with the third grade vernacular".

That's about what I expect from a close minded sheep.

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

stop posting in here. you know no one takes you seriously, everything you post in here is shot down and turns into people flaming you and then you e-thugging to show your superiority. you know it, its not a surprise. save everyone else the drama and keep your e-threats to run circles around people in the gym to the main forum where they will take your bait and actually enjoy it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

All I can say is WoW :mamoru:

11. grantorino

grantorino New Member

Yes, but what do you think about the article I posted? Think you know more than the guys who wrote it?

12. grantorino

grantorino New Member

:hug:

13. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

Dude c'mon

14. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I don't care about the article you posted and I couldn't care any less about who wrote it. I don't train for that, I train for what I did in my AV. I know what it takes to complete a 900lb squat in competition and be a nationally ranked powerlifter.

It doesn't even matter what the body of the article is. Its the fact that you posted it and you (and every body else here) know your history on this board. If a legitimate contributor to this board posted it, I'm sure some sort of civil discussion would take place. The fact that you come in here with your thickheaded, in-your-face, obvious troll attitude and post it means nothing will be accomplished but flames towards you and then you returning the flames. It happens in every single thread you post on this forum. Its not even entertaining.

15. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

16. grantorino

grantorino New Member

What? What do you think?

17. TZ

TZ Banned

I'm getting stronger grantorino :wavey:. I did that 275 bench for 4 sets of 5 the other day and it was a cakewalk :bigthumb:

Gonna hit 300 push press in 6 weeks, son. According to that article I should be overtrained...but I'm not experiencing any symptoms of it :hsughno:. I keep getting stronger and I'm a lifetime natural trainee, how do you explain that? :mamoru:

18. grantorino

grantorino New Member

and the fact that you just jump right into flaming tell me just how small minded a prick you are. You say that if the same info were posted by a different person, it'd be taken more seriously.

That's bullshit. The first time I ever posted anything about Heavy Duty, I did it in a nice, polite manner. I didn't insult anyone until I was unjustly flamed.

So stick your close minded opinions up your ass.

19. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

You should be banned from life.

Seriously, no one reads your shit or takes whatever you post seriously. I don't give a fuck if you had the end all be all solution to muscle building, you'd still be a fucking idiot. Let me reiterate: NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU SAY BECAUSE OF WHO YOU ARE. We don't like you, END OF STORY.

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Grantorino... I wouldn't mind discussing the merits of HIT with you in pm but as it is, Maine is right. I'm not saying its you alone, but rather your history in this forum would unfortunately turn this thread into a flamefest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.