GUN Body armor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Feb 21, 2004.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Are there laws regaurding minors wearing body armor? A kid was trying to pick a fight with me a while back, one thing led to another, and there is possibly a gang out there that wants me. I think the kids full of shit, but I don't like taking chances, and I go through their "hood" quite often to get to another friends house, and my name and address is also in his profile. I'd rather not take chances, and I'd like some protection when going through this area.

On that same note, what would you reccomend for something with high coverage, and would be able to stop calibers up to .45. I would also like to be able to wear it under my shirt, I don't want to draw attention to myself.

2. Rache

Rache Guest

There is no armor you can wear under a shrit without being noticed. The lightest, most effective armor will still show through. Second, BODY ARMOR IS DOES NOT MAKE YOU INVINICBLE. You can get shot in the head, armpit, neck, foot, and still die!!!

What you really need to do is document these things (like threats listed in his profile) and contact the police. Stop rolling in his "hood." Avoid him. Avoid his friends. Avoid his hangouts. If you are scared enough to post this, maybe a restraining order is a good idea.

There is no shame in doing this. Preserving your own life does not make you a snitch or a weak person. It makes you smart. Especially in the case you've described.

That said, Body Armor comes in some basic varieties, rated by threat levels. (I to IV, with sub levels of "A"). The highest level of wearable armor is typically IIIA. Check with local authorities on the legality of wearing body armor.

Even so, IIIA armor will set you back about 1700 on the "legit" market for high quality stuff. Since you're a kid, and most likely aren't a qualified buyer, you'll have to find it on the black market, and probably get screwed and sold second hand/ineffective body armor.

Cliff notes: Don't buy armor. CALL THE COPS.

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

What is he came after you with a knife? Might as well not even have the vest on unless you have a stab plate.

4. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

In addition to what has been said, body armor is not bullet proof. Certain types of rounds avail can still go through body armor.

5. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I'm well aware that body armor isn't bulletproof. I don't have enough evidence right now to get him in legal trouble. The only evidence there was was my name and address in his "people to kill list" in his subprofile, which has been down for the last few weeks, and I haven't recieved any personal threats lately. I won't buy anything off the black market if I can't get it legally. I just don't really feel safe anywhere anymore.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

you can get concealable body armor, but it's EXPENSIVE, and if you're worried about your safety NOW, it's going to take some time to get. i generally avoid buying soft or hard armor off ebay unless the seller is really highly rated, and selling NEW armor. i also like to know the date, and the materials with which it's made. kevlar lasts longer than most of the other materials used, but it's thicker and heavier. armor has expiration dates. the materials break down. usually, with little or no wearing of the armor, you're good for longer, but for legal reasons, they put strict expiration dates on it. police often discard vests after the expiration dates, but unless you know to whom those vests go, or some similar info, you won't be able to get any of them. usually, there are a few vests in the lot that are still close to the date, and still in good shape. maybe one in your size. but, your safest bet is to buy new. it's also the most expensive. IIA will stop some rounds, and is better than nothing, is concealable with good materials and a little clothing, and is lighter. but, it's not going to stop a whole lot, especially faster rounds. nothing concealable will stop rifles or fast pistol rounds. not too many vests will stop punctures without a plate of sorts.

also, i second the police option. whether they do anything or not, to get a complaint on file is important for the future. if something does happen down the line, you have established a history of it, and have an official record of your side dating previous to the future incident. you would also do well to avoid the situation as much as entirely possible, no matter what other recourses you take.

7. footratfunkface

8. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

like all rifle ammo. Vest + rifle = you're dead.

9. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Second chance makes good shit... I have a level IIIA monarch summit for work (its what I was issued) its pretty damn comfortabale except when its hot, and I have a titanium plate in it, which adds some extra protection, and will stop a knife :bigthumb:

most important thing is the sizing. A vest MUST be sized properly to be wearable. You have to go to a store that is an authorized dealer and have them size u for it.

10. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

i have two safariland IIIA vests. one is pretty concealable but the other one is not. you have to dress around them just like you would with a concealable holster. :dunno:

11. footratfunkface

with just a vest, you are still succeptible to most rifles. basically, any effective rifle will not lose its effectiveness just because the target is wearing soft armor. however, ceramic, composite, polyethelene, or hardened steel plates can be rated at III or IV, the former being able to stop a few, and the latter being able to stop anything up to and including .30-06 M2 AP.

but, like i said, any armor, soft or hard, that will offer more than a little protection is going to COST, and it's going to be hot, thick, and heavier. this will probably not be conducive to concealment in spring/summer weather.

12. DuxDevil

DuxDevil Guest

1: armor peircing bullets are not going to be stopped by armor
    2: get a gun yourself, KAL TEK makes a nice small compact 9mm, good for closse contact, if all else fails, then try praying

13. footratfunkface

oh yeah, that's right, armor piercing bullets pass through everything and never stop. and armor piercing bullets are so prevalent in the hood.

read my last post again. level IV plates will stop .30-06 M2 AP. they have to, by NIJ standards, or they're not considered level IV armor. i never said they'd stop all AP rounds, but they'll stop every AP round of that size or smaller. anything larger than that, and you're not being shot by anything less than a military invasion of your neighborhood.

edit: i'm not sure if the guy above me is just fucking around, or if he's really that stupid. so, i'm leaving his post as a reminder of what NOT to say. do not blatently and completely misspell manufacturer's names, do not suggest that a minor try to purchase a pistol illegally, and at least TRY not to be such a fucking retard. (PT, we know you can't help it ;) )

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  14. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I can't get a pistol because I'm underage, thats why I'm asking about the vest. If I could get a pistol right now (legally), I wouldn't be worried.