Boat/Marine Speakers and system build?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Feb 25, 2009.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay ya'll. I just aquired a boat with an old school kenwood tape deck and 3.5" speakers that are blown!

Let me tell you what I currently have and you guys recommend what I need to finish this thing off. Keep in mind my budget is cheap here (I can't be spending more on sound than I did on the boat :mamoru:).

Most of this stuff is free hand me downs :)

Deck: Pioneer DEH-P6600

Amp: RF 350.1 (I think). I know that it is a 350 watt amp and is about 3-4 years old.

Sub: 12" Alpine S w/ a rather large box that I may or may not reuse.

-------------

I need some marine speakers. I was thinking 4-6.5" that I can mount in the existing areas where I am pulling the older speakers (I will just cut larger holes). I will just run these from the CD deck's amp and not a seperate one.

Thoughts, ideas, brands, on marine speakers? Also, how should I go about getting an Ipod input on this deck? From what I can tell it has some 'special' Pioneer plug in the back that can be used for AUX inputs.

I would also like to keep the install looking clean w/o wires coming from the back of the deck for the Ipod adapter. Are there are faceplates I could put in next to the cd deck that would keep it looking clean?

cliffs: read it ;-)

THANKS IN ADVANCE OT. LET ME KNOW YOUR MARINE AUDIO KNOWLEDGE!

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

kicker and alpine make nice marine speakers. bout $100/pr if i remember right. why not just upgrade the radio. i mean really, you can drop $100 on a new radio and get aux input capability.

edit: Sorry, just re-read and saw that you already have a unit :o i have a pioneer aux input adaptor if you're interested, PM me.

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Thx JRock! I will probably just grab some 6.5 alpines and be done with it. I sent you a PM about that pioneer adaptor.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, i got it. i'm having to dig for this adaptor.....i forgot where i put it.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

cool....let me know when/if you find it. I want to purchase one this week though, so please let me know if you can't find it.

6. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

i have a pair of alpine 6.5 marine speakers from my old boat id be happy to sell.

and a pair of Panasonic 6.5 marine speakers. (factory speakers)

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you find one before I do, jump on it.