Boat engines... enough pwr?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TD23, Jun 9, 2007.

1. TD23

TD23 Bring it home!

First off,
    can anyone tell me how much HP and top speed a boat with a 305 v8 might have? (boat is 19')

I've heard that 4cyl's have around 145hp and can pull a ski/wakeboarder just fine, but I've also heard that with 4 adults onboard the boat will basically just drag the person because there isnt enough torque. So I'm thinking 19'+ must have a 6cyl or greater...

Opinions? :dunno:

2. aCab

aCab New Member

Our boat has a 350 in it and puts out around 315HP I believe. Top speed is about 65-68 MPH.

I've skied behind a 4 cyl 175 outboard before and got up just fine with the boat loaded down with 6 people. It was a 18 footer.

Torque will pull them up, HP will keep them going.

3. TD23

TD23 Bring it home!

Thanks aCab!
    A bud of mine has a new boat with a 350 and that thing hauls ass. He's the one thats telling me DONT buy a 4cyl.

I just got back from looking at a 305 chevy v8 with a cobra outboard. He could only run the engine with a hose today because we didnt have time to go to the lake. (his first start failed). If my buddy looks at it and gives me a thumbs-up I'll take it to a mechanic before signing the check. The boat is an '88 Bayliner and has its share of exterior flaws (worst being the hull has a few chips in it). He wants $5k, so its a good starter for me I think.
    :x: