Boat Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. Master, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Mr. Master

Mr. Master New Member

What are some good boat audio equipment. I only have a little 23ft walkaround seaswirl stripper. I have no idea where to start with this. is it safe to put the speakers outside. i don't really use the cabin. where would i put the subwoofer. Is the bouncing around in the boat when you go to fast for the seas going to hurt my audio equipment. any help would be appreciated.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aNY28ELgfh1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=clarion+marine&i=020CMD4

check out that for a source unit.

if you have a dry enclosed location, then you can use regular amps. alpine or kicker have marine coax's. clarion makes a marine component set. wiring will be the same as a car. JL's will be expensive, and if you party hard on your boat, then your speakers will take some abuse. either way, i wouldn't fool with going for sound quality on a boat. just some decent sound which any of the above products will provide.

on to subs, I would use any aluminum cone/rubber surround downfiring under a seat or console somewhere. or if you have room for it, alumapro bandpass subs sound great with a little bit of power. (i've done a boat or two in the past. we also used Solobarics in sealed boxes that really hammered.

depending on your engine, you may be able to upgrade your alternator. One of the typical upgrades that we did was install an 8D (bulldozer) battery and a 2 pole marine battery switch. use a red top or whatever for regular starting, then when you are ready to anchor, switch to the 8D, let the engine idle, and bang away.

4. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Memphis Audio has a nice marine line

5. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i've worked on a lot of boats and even the the most dry location will be prone to moisture creeping in... Its killed a lot of amps.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

never had a problem. but then again, my customers were high rollers that would change up every season. hell my buddy flooded a kicker 1200.1 and 800.4 during a storm (they were under the motor hatch and bilge outlet was under water due to weight in boat). we turned them off, pulled main amp fuse and let them dry. they were fine 2 days later.

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

wow very nice... this spring the shop is going to focus on a lot of boats.. it should be interesting.