board presses

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mojo, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

for those who board press, do you perform them on the same day as you bench or another day? how many % of your 1RM is ideal to use? how many boards? and last, where the hell can i find some boards to use? i have to waste the power rack and look like a tool

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

how many boards depends on why you are doing board presses

you can get them from like lowes, home depot, or any other store that sells wood

you can always set up the pins in the power rack and press off those

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

on my max effort days, boards will be the main movement and I'll select a board height for weakspot work. Reps will be triples until I can no longer hit 3, then start hitting singles.

on dynamic effort days, I do my main speed bench work then after that I'll boards. Start a 5-board, next week 4-board, next week 3-board. The week after 3-board I'll do Rep Work for bench, then after that week start over on the 5-board.

However... there aren't many people on the forum that even need to worry about weak points and board presses yet. What are your numbers at right now and what is your experience. and by numbers I mean, height, weight, age, 3RM Bench, 1RM Bench, and how many years have you been lifting?

As for boards, you are a complete asshole if you buy boards from a lifting store. Go to home depot and buy a 2x6 board, have them cut it up. One of the boards noticeable longer then the other and stack the others on it. Boom, you have adjustable boards. Use velcro or bungees to secure the boards in place.

4. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Anything I could say would be pennies on the dollar in comparison to Maines advice. The only thing I would add is that if you plan on doing board presses with regularity, its worth it to go ahead and make 1 through 5 boards and not go the velcro+adjustable route. That way you can seemlessly do superset board work etc etc.

5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

5'6"
    192lb
    15+ months lifting
    225lb 4rm on bench

On 5rm sets, the bar pauses when its 3-5" above my chest then slowly goes up. i was hoping board presses will help this particular area or am i wrong.
    only thing i could think of using so far was the powerrack and set the pins from their.

6. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

i think doing board work is pretty pointless unless youre competing

7. Ohio_U_TE

Ohio_U_TE Ohio, son! OTer of the Year

wer board press with two 2x4's on Mondays and regular on Fridays the %'s are always the same on both days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.