bmw with higher miles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by volvoc70, Feb 9, 2008.

1. volvoc70

volvoc70 New Member

im looking at a beautiful 00' 328i. its been serviced and taken car of very well and has been a daily driver. theres a lot of highway miles.

should i worry about buying it with 138k miles?

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

worry is a relative term, if you're prepared to do lots of maintenance yourself then it's not an issue.

3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Make sure the water pump isn't leaking, that the radiator has been replaced, and that all the windows go up and down smoothly with no noise.

If it's an automatic try to find service records on it.

Other than that you should be fine.

4. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

have it inspected by a bmw shop before you buy it

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Best advice.

6. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

auto or manual? I have a '95 325is that I just bought from my uncle with 180k miles. He says it's given him no trouble at all. He had the entire cooling system replaced around 110k, but since then nothing but regular maintenance until his idiot grandson drove it and the clutch had had it. I bought it for $600 with the blown clutch and it runs great.

The only thing you should have to worry about assuming it's been taken care of is regular maintence. The M52 is a reliable engine, but there are a lot of little things that go wrong on these cars. They're also a BITCH to work on in comparison to a japanese or american vehicle. The clutch job was ridiculous and to replace something as simple as the starter is just over complicated. Good car, but future maintenance was not taken into account during the design....

7. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Since it's an E36 with some extra body computers it's not a lot more expensive to fix.

8. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Ya I would stay way from a AUTO tranny with that many miles. But they are soild cars and highway miles as long as you can prove them are ok even high.

I just picked up a 01 E46 325i stick shift to replace my E46M3 as my commuter.

And they are easy a shit to up keep, Even compared to jap or american cars.
    The M cars are diffrent and require more to keep them in tip top shape.

9. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

Whats wrong with the 2000 e46's? My 323ci has never given me any major problem and all of the other local guys from e46fanatics haven't had any either. There are some Subframe problems from 99-01 but that only seems to happen to those who beat on their cars.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

fucking dawt

They're good cars, if they're manual trans and you treat them well.

Not blazingly fast or luxurious, but they drive nice and they're relatively reliable.

11. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

Yea I love my car. Since the car you are buying is over 80,000 miles. Just check the control arms/bushings, flex disc, and power steering pump. Those would be some of the main items that tend to need replacing after 80,000. Then treat the car right and it'll go for another 100,000 easy.

12. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Have your mechanic use a pry-bar to move the front lower control arms while looking for serious cracks in the rubber bushings at the rear-most mounting point.

Also have him shake the front tires back and forth by hand and look for excessive movement in the center joint and outside joint of the front lower arms.
    This is a big rubber disc in between the transmission and driveshaft that BMW uses instead of a u-joint.

Have your mechanic check it for cracking. Light surface cracking is okay, deep cracks or missing chunks are not. If you have a dealership examine it, they call it a guibo (pronounced gweeboh). Ask them how it looks.
    The power steering pump will only need replaced if it's been run low on fluid.

Check the lines for leaking, or to see if they've been replaced recently. The P/S steering fluid should be fresh and clean. If it's not a nice reddish color, it's low, or the lines have just been replaced you might want to listen to the pump with a stethoscope to make sure it's not grinding. Quiet whining, particularly under a load is okay. Loud whining, groaning, or grinding is not.

Also have your mechanic stick a needle into each boot of the power steering rack to make sure it's seals aren't blown. Some people just keep pouring fluid into the steering reservoir without wondering where it's going. Not a common problem, but it's expensive to fix.

13. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

have a 95 with 210 on the clock

Couple of minor issues (just getting engine mounts replaced, stuff like that) but mechanically still good.

Can handle the larger miles pretty well. Boss at work has an 00 325i with 198 on the clock as a long distance car and it still goes well. Only issue has been with the lhrear electric window

14. BudBrown

BudBrown i done smoked with the best of em, shot at the res

its all about upkeep and maintenance, my old '95 m3 had 166k on it when i sold it and i would drive it hard every day, still drove awesome when i sold it.