BMW Motorsport finish one-two at the 24 hours of Nurburgring

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by curiousgeorgeM3, Jun 28, 2004.

1. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Hmmm......where's Porsche????

M3 GTR Owns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24hrs Nürburgring
    One-two win for Team BMW Motorsport
    In the 32nd Nürburgring 24 Hour Race, the BMW M3 GTR of Dirk Müller, Jörg Müller and Hans-Joachim Stuck (car number 42) clinched victory, with the second BMW of Duncan Huisman, Pedro Lamy and Boris Said (car number 43) finishing second.

The two BMW M3 GTRs sporting the numbers 42 and 43 were first and second to cross the start/finish line in the Nürburgring 24 Hour Race. After a total of 143 laps, Dirk Müller, Jörg Müller and Hans-Joachim Stuck, watched by BMW Group’s head of development Professor Burkhard Göschel, took victory in the 32nd edition of the Eifel marathon. The drivers of the second BMW M3 GTR, bearing the number 43 - Pedro Lamy, Duncan Huisman and Boris Said - were the second team to pass the chequered flag after 142 laps, clinching a double victory for Team BMW Motorsport.

“I was sweating it out too all the way from Montreal, and was kept permanently posted on the latest situation by GPS and data transmission,” said BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen at the Formula One Grand Prix in Canada. “This is a fantastic result. A huge compliment to the team and the drivers, who always managed to keep a cool head and made the right decisions in spite of the most challenging conditions.

BMW Motorsport has added another memorable one-two victory to its numerous touring car successes at the Nordschleife. The two BMW M3 GTRs ran like clockwork. After their commanding successes in the ALMS, they have now corroborated their qualities in Europe as well. We are well equipped to take on the next 24-hour race at Spa.”

With this, its seventh one-two win, BMW continues its story of success in the Nürburgring 24 Hour Races. The company with the blue and white emblem has claimed overall victory for the 17th time. The last occasion that a BMW made it to the top of the podium was in 1998, in a success which made racing history: the BMW 320d became the first diesel-powered model to win a 24-hour event.

Team Manager Charly Lamm noted with tears in his eyes, “Of course we were bearing the burden of what happened in 2003. You come here and you give your all, but a 24-hour race isn’t over until 24 hours have elapsed. There’s always room for some drama just before the end, as we witnessed among other participants here. What can I say? It was a dream and it has come true. Everything worked out perfectly for us.”

One of this year’s drivers had been in the winning team of 1998: Hans-Joachim Stuck. For the 53-year-old, it is the third overall win of his career. Stuck’s victories at the Nordschleife have always doubled as premieres: in 1970 he won the first 24 Hour Race on the Nürburgring, 28 years later came victory in the BMW 320d, and now the first triumph in a GT model. That takes the tally of this seasoned driver to three wins each in the Le Mans 24 Hours and in the Eifel classic.

“Psychologically it was the most strenuous race I have ever entered,” said Stuck after the BMW M3 GTR had crossed the finishing line. “The difficult weather conditions meant you were constantly riding along a razor’s edge. But despite that it was tremendous fun. I have to express my special praise for the engineers. They handed us a perfectly functioning BMW M3 GTR.”
    Stuck’s team-mates Dirk Müller and Jörg Müller, by contrast, celebrated their first overall victory in a 24-hour race. “I’m just over the moon,” said Dirk Müller. “In the last laps I was concentrating on avoiding mistakes at all costs. When I crossed the finishing line, I went totally goose-pimply all over.”

Jörg Müller could hardly believe how hitch-free the 24-hour classic turned out: “It was almost too perfect. We never touched another car once and we had the right tyres on almost throughout. It was the greatest race I have ever had. It’s a dream."

More Info and pics---click here

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  2. big_john2438

big_john2438 Guest

germans own that track esp. BMW

3. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I can't believe their was one MB in the race but I've never noticed MB's in the races previously.

Jesus christ their were like 20-21~ M3's in the race :rofl:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

represent

5. Yop

Yop Guest

hrmm... didnt the bimmers outnumber all other manufacturers?

6. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Not sure but does it really matter? Of the cars that were entered, if there was a better car/team combo I am sure they would have won.