BMW M3 vs C5 Vette

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by torchC5, Sep 18, 2007.

1. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Here's the deal. I own a C5 MN6 coupe (bone stock). However, I also really like the E46 M3. In fact, if I could afford one at the time I bought my vette it would have been very hard for me to not choose the BMW, but that isn't the case. My brother just bought an 01 M3 but we haven't had the chance to line them up yet.

I belong to the corvette forum, as well as a BMW forum and off course the majority each side says their car is faster. Now I've raced a number of M3's and have walked them each time. And when I say walked, I mean very slowly pulled away. We're talking tenths of a second difference in performance here. That being said, there are a number of die-hard M3 fans that have this notion that their car is, and always be faster then a C5. I can understand maybe a C5 auto vert, but not a MN6 coupe. After all, my vette is lighter, has more hp and torque, and has more aggressive gearing (3:42 rear-end) then the M3.

I know on a circuit the M3 would most likely have the advantage, however on the dragstrip the C5 should be able to beat the M3 (equal drivers). What do you think? Anyone raced one or the other?

2. The C5 should be able to take the M3 on a strip. As you said, it's lighter, has more power and torque, has wider tires, and has better gearing.

I also would be careful about claiming the M3 is better on a track.

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I am no e46 M3 expert (e36 is what I own) but I was under the impression they run a 3.91 diff. Honestly if straight line speed is what you're about then why look at BMW? Clearly they are completely different cars with completely different target audiences. btw, I think most people underestimate the ability of the vette when it comes to circuit.

I would take the BMW in a heart beat :dunno:

4. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Regarding my track comment, I was giving the M3 the benefit of the doubt. From what I've read (and not just on the Bimmer forums) the M3 shines on the twisties. I know its hard to believe being that its a bit of a porker. So until I personally have the chance to drive my brother's car on the back roads I'll assume what I've read is somewhat true. In my heart though, I still think the C5 coupe is one strong performer on the strip and track, bang-for-the-buck.

5. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

I agree with you to an extent. I think both cars are made for the track and strip. Also, they are both RWD cars making similar amounts of power. Any performance car can (and should be able to) drag race. Whether or not that is it's design purpose is another story. I personally like a car that can handle all performance duties well. That includes stopping.

6. They are making similar PEAK power, but the vette makes more AVERAGE power and much much much more AVERAGE torque. You should't ignore that the vette does weigh less too.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy either to drag race. If you want to drage race, buy a LS1 powered F body.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The C6 looks awfully nice, but if I had a choice between a C5 and an M3, I'd take the M3.

I could care less what their 1/4mi times are.

8. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

You're forgetting that a vette is a "muscle" car, the M3 is a luxury sports coupe. Completely in different leagues. The appeal of the M3 is that it can be the luxury car during the week and the "fun" car for the weekend. The vette is hardly luxurious in comparison. Honestly it's comparing apples to oranges.

9. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Yes, but performance wise they are within tenths of a second in many catagories. Granted, outside of the "speed department" they are definitely two different cars. Out of the European market, what other car comes closest in terms of a decent performance match-up?

10. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

11. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

I'll second this opinion.

I have kids so I like the extra seats and I know from personal experience that the M3 makes a good DD.

I haven't DD a C5, so it's probably okay, but I didn't fall in love with the Z06 I drove.

It was fast, but I couldn't see myself throwing a couple of kids in it and going to Wal~Mart, and I'm assuming the regular C5 is a slower, softer version of the Z06.

12. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

:werd:

13. Bleed

Bleed New Member

:werd:
    BMW's drop panties like none other :hs: