Bmw M3 question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ep, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Ep

Ep Guest

There's a 1995 bmw m3 for sale with 72k miles for 6 grand. It looks mint but the ad says it was repainted. It also says that it needs a tune up because it runs a little rough.

I've been asking around and reading a little bit and these cars seem to be pretty fantastic and not terrible when it comes to repairs. A tune up would be okay with me but I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to tell the difference between a spark plug/ coil or something much worse.

The dealer also says he doesn't have previous history on the car which makes me nervous. What's your opinion?

I will obvious check the carfax but as you know, car accidents don't always go reported

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Expensive parts

Likely has been driven hard

I've seen some that run forever w/o issues and a couple others that seem to stay in the shop after 60,000 miles.

That said:

They look good

A favorite in the ///M line

Handle well and have plenty of power and plenty more power potential. This results in them being great weekend warrior project cars now-a-days.

Get a VIN, run the carfax, decide from there. Is this going to be DD? If so I recommend having a back up. :)

3. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Get a pre purchase inspection from an independent mechanic.

I had a 97 that I put about 120k on. maintenance wasn't too bad. Loved the car.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

X2 if you don't don't know much about cars and want to make sure this one is in decent shape bring it to shop other than the dealer your taking it to. Should cost about $60 or whatever they charge for an hours worth of work. I'd have them go over every part and make sure its straight.

5. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

not a tune-up, more like needs inspection service. ppi or fucking pass

6. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

Its been repainted... Why? Check where the body meets the window and door seals see if there is overspray. If there is walk away.
    Its been driven on average 5k a yeaR and no mx documentation? Someone who bought a M3 should/would know to get the book stamped... Seems weird.