BMW guru's - need lighting info (mainly E36 + E46)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Chris87, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I'm hoping some of you can answer these questions and clarify some things for me..This mainly has to do with E36's and E46's, but if you have knowledge on E30's, E34's, E39's, etc, I'd like to hear it also....

which models (4dr, 2dr, wagon, cabrio,and compact) have the same / different tail lights, headlights, and turn signals?

From my understading they all have different tail lights? and 2dr's have different headlights? What about turn signals? What about facelifted models?

Do European head/tail/turns bolt right into where the N.A. versions are?
    -Other than re-wiring, do the headlights need anything (ie. vw mk3's need a new euro rad support).
    -Can euro turn signals fit with N.A. headlights? or do they only fight with euro lights?
    -Will the bulb holders for N.A. cars work and fit properly with Euro tail lights?

How much better are Euro spec headlights compared to the N.A. versions? I'm assuming they're similar to all euro lights and kick the shit out of our POS DOT N.A. lights? :dunno:

Which shops are considered to have some of the best prices on euro lighting?

Any info you guys have regarding any of this will be very helpful to me and i will greatly appreciate it. And to show it, here's some links of hotties for you.

*NWS*!!!!

http://www.adriancomputers.com/OT/besame.jpg
    http://www.adriancomputers.com/OT/Dalene Kurtis bending over hay 12.jpg
    http://www.adriancomputers.com/OT/macandbubble3.jpg
    http://www.adriancomputers.com/OT/redhead.jpg
    http://www.adriancomputers.com/OT/white hott.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  2. Chris87

Some of you guys must know a thing or 2. :squint:

From what i've gathered...

E36:
    compact (ti), 4dr, and 2dr / convertable all have different tail lights. (I'm assuming convertables only came in 2dr?)

92-94 headlights are H1
    95-97 headlights are H7
    And regardless of the model, they're all the same.

There's 2 different models of turn signals. I'm assuming they're for the facelifted model, but i haven't figured out which design is for which.

E46:
    All models seem to have different tail ligts

There's 2 different types of turn signals. I think the really curvey ones are for facelifted models / the 2drs. Still not sure.

4dr / wagon have different headlights from the coupes?

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

e46 have different lights all around for coupes and sedans. Of those, there are, I believe, two different types of taillights (coupes and sedans). There are two types of headlights (face lifted and non facelifted) for both coupes and sedans. There are also two types of side markers, pointy or trangular ones being the facelifted for the sedans only. And now for the coupes there are LED tails and redesigned back-up lights to go with the LEDs.

4. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

E36 and E46 have different tail lights and front corner lamps when a sedan vs. coupe is compared.

The Euro lights are a projector system most of the time compared to the US DOT lights. Only problem I've seen on the E36s is that if you have an intake, it is sometimes required to modify it or remove it to install the Euro headlamps due to the increased depth of the unit.

5. MP525i

MP525i Guest

E34: no difference between sedan and touring
    E39: sedan different from touring

Hey, I thought the E46 (before the facelift), sedans taillights were exactly the same as the coupe. I knew the fronts were different but the backs too? I've looked at my friends 330Ci and my mom's 330i and they look the same to me.

6. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

Look is the same, however its a small enough difference that if you have the wrong type, you won't be able to fit it.

About the e46...
    199-2001 info first: Coupes(including convertables) and sedans both have different front and rear lights.

2002/3-present: The front and rear are still different, the sedan now has the updated look in front, and the rear is also changed(it's not simply red and clear,its red/clear/red. The coupes got an updated front for 03 as well as the LED back.

7. toddman35

toddman35 Guest

Incorrect, the sedans and I believe ti's share the same tail lights, while the coupes and verts have their own tails.

I am speaking only for the e36's on these answers.

which models (4dr, 2dr, wagon, cabrio,and compact) have the same / different tail lights, headlights, and turn signals?

- From my understading they all have different tail lights? - Yes, sedan and ti, and coupe and vert.

- and 2dr's have different headlights? - No, all e36's have the same headlights.
    - What about turn signals? - The front turn signals are different between the coupe/vert and ti/sedan.
    - What about facelifted models? Nothing changes regarding those questions on the 97+ cars.

Do European head/tail/turns bolt right into where the N.A. versions are?
    -Other than re-wiring, do the headlights need anything (ie. vw mk3's need a new euro rad support). - Nope, direct bolt in.

-Can euro turn signals fit with N.A. headlights? or do they only fight with euro lights? - they will work with both US and Euro Headlights.

-Will the bulb holders for N.A. cars work and fit properly with Euro tail lights? - Yes.

How much better are Euro spec headlights compared to the N.A. versions? I'm assuming they're similar to all euro lights and kick the shit out of our POS DOT N.A. lights? :dunno: - Correct, the stock US spec lights blow compared to the ellipsoids.

Which shops are considered to have some of the best prices on euro lighting?

For e36's, the best price for zkw ellipsoids is usually thought of as www.umnitza.com

8. Chris87

Dope. I had most of it figured out. Great information tho. :bigthumb:

9. icecreaman420

icecreaman420 OT Supporter

10. toddman35

toddman35 Guest

<--- bimmerforums.com member. :cool: