BMW E46 M3

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by REDandBLACKpack, Dec 30, 2007.

1. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

I am looking into selling my 05 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL and my 93 Nissan 300ZX (nissan fan boy here) and try to pick up an E46 M3. I absolutely love ever aspect of the car and it would be a dream to own one. I am wondering though, since my budget is not the best, what is the most amount of miles on the car I should consider. I know that this has a lot to do with how well the car was taken care of and such but just for a general range what would you say? My dream would to have an arctic white E46 but so far the only one that I have found in my price range is in cali and I am in NC. I would like to try and spend around 22k, maybe a little more. If you guys see any good ones for sale let me know. Or are there other cars that I should consider? I am getting rid of the Altima because I do not need the back seat or large trunk and I already have to sell the 300zx but I want something that I can drive every almost every day ( I wont drive it everyday but it will be my only car ) but something that is also sporty and fun to drive. Thanks!

2. Michael_Star

Michael_Star New Member

Well, bmws hold up well, so miles aren't too bad as long as you have records. What about going with a 330ci instead? A bit cheaper, still has decent power, and you can always throw on some aero pieces to make it look more aggresive.

Also, I just thought of it. There was a 330 ZHP which gave you the 6speed and some bits from the m3. Or, stop playing around with little 6s and step up to a v8 :big grin: (a la 540i).

3. REDandBLACKpack

I really just want something sportier. I really miss driving my 300zx but I know that my parents will not let me get another one because of how unreliable they are and how hard and expensive they are to maintain. I have no use for a 4 door family sedan like the altima, even though it has good power from the VQ. I have always loved everything about the M3. I really dont want a 330ci, and I really don't care how aggressive the car looks, I would rather not try to make my car look like something that it isnt.

4. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

here's some really good advice, don't buy a $22k m3, you can't afford it.

an m3 in that price range will have high milage and nearing a major service and/or replacement of major suspension components. Call around to some local bmw shops and ask them what you can expect to replace at xx,xxx miles and what it costs. inspections 1 & 2 range in the $650-1000 in your area from indy shops, don't bother calling the dealer unless you want to a 50% premium. brake jobs, $600 -$1800 depending on what needs to be replaced. a new clutch $1000 on the low end, if the car is smg... better take out a second mortgage. and then there are the list of known issues; subframe failure, bad coils, vanos failure, rtab's, dead pixel dashboards, bad differentials, improper service, etc..

new rear tires every 15k miles if you're cautious, premium fuel only, $10 a quart oil specific to m3's, etc..

if you really want a bmw, the 330ci with zhp option is a much better choice.

5. REDandBLACKpack

what if i dont necessarily want a bmw. what are some cars in that price range, used, that would suite me better

6. alovell

alovell Active Member

touche.

7. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

check out maybe an Audi s4, its a bi turboed 2.7L v6. the next best bmw in that price range would be a 2 or 5 series, and they arent exactly the fastest cars. you can get a mkv vw gti, with a turboed 2L I4. those would be my choices.

8. telc

telc OT Supporter

9. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

Dude, it sounds like you still live at home and are in College.

Dont buy ANYTHING. Wait until you get out of school and get a good job.

You have a sporty car (nissan) and a reliable care with a warranty still.

Dont go buying a used M3, save money, dont buy it.

10. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I bought a Roush Mustang in college, worst decision i ever made. I hardly drove it and it sat in a parking garage. It didn't kill me financially but i could have used that monthly car payment for other things, like booze, going out ot eat, etc.

When you get out of school and get a job you'll probably be able to afford something much nicer or, at the very least, a lower mileage M3.

11. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

THis is a dream, and you are approaching it. god speed

12. alovell

alovell Active Member

i'm in college w/ a full time job.
    i'm also about to get an e46 M3 or LS2 GTO.
    payments will be about 1/5 of my salary.
    so worth it.

edit: i don't live at home, though.

13. Bugatti

Bugatti New Member

14. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

Yeah, I have a GTO too...that I bought when I got out of college and got a job.

Check out www.ls1gto.com.

15. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Great summarization. It's not about the cost of the car, but the cost of the maintenance. The above reasons are why I paid the extra $3k for a factory 6yr/100k maintenance and warranty plan! :hsd:

16. alovell

alovell Active Member

already lurking there my nig.
    preciate it!