bmw e36 question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by HUMNZ71, Dec 30, 2003.

1. HUMNZ71

HUMNZ71 Guest

IM coming down to a choice of either buying a e36 m3 in a 4 door or 2 door, i have been told that the 4 door cars are more rigid and handle better but are they much heavier than a 2dr that it would effect performance that much. Also if anybody has any knowledge what would be the best year to buy considering that im looking at several cars and the majority of them have been super charged already. Thanks for any input dave :)

2. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

I would take a 4 door. just because you have so much more room. if you want a STRAIGHT sports car, get the 2 door. i would look for a 97 or so. and do an OBD I converison. good luck on the find.

3. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Four doors are more rare. If I was getting an e36 M3, I would go 4 door. Just because they are more unique not because of the better handling/more rigid chasis crap you hear. I mean that stuff IS true but will you OR 90% of the people who own these cars ever drive it hard enough to notice the difference and take advantage of the perceived benefits?? NO. Go with what you would be happy with in your daily driving life. For me the 4-door would be cool and unique:)

4. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

5. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

[sigh]......

The 4 door is not stiffer, nor does it handle better than the coupe.

I just don't know where people are getting this incorrect information.

The coupe is torsionally stiffer than the sedan, and the sedan is longitudinally stiffer than the coupe. There is no discernable difference in handling - none whatsoever, zero, zilch, nada, nyente. It is as nonexistant as the supposed substantial weight difference between the two, as they are within neglible pounds of each other.

Don't take my word for it. Call Turner Motorsport, and ask them. Call PTG, ERT, call any of the actual teams that raced the damn cars and hear the truth for yourselves. And the next time some misinformed cretin spouts weight/handling nonsense about the supposed difference between the two fucking cars, point them to this thread and this response.

...I am sorry. I know this response is harsh. You have no idea how much of this crap I correct on the main forum, and there is just no end to it. :(

6. El Slotho

Oh, and the coupe is lower, and wider than the sedan, and the sedan is taller and narrower. As with all E36s. :sad2:

7. HUMNZ71

HUMNZ71 Guest

Thank you very much for the words of wisdom, i appreciate all of it, where the myths come from or start i have no idea i think i actually heard them on the main forum as you have so mentioned. Im currently looking at a coupe locally that has a dinan supercharger package and some other goodies so we will see what turns out of it. I know i want to make this purchase a one time deal and i dont want to sacrifice on options that i want so it might take awhile in finding the right exterior color and interior combination i want with the options i desire, but thank you for all the help greatly appreciated. dave

8. El Slotho

The Dinan SC solves a lot of the E36 M3's horsepower "problems," but before you buy the car take it to a BMW dealer and have a leakdown and compression test performed for piece of mind. If they pronounce it sound, go for it. :bigthumb:

9. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

my dream e36 m3 would be a loaded (except for folding rear seats) '98 estoril blue sedan with mulberry interior 5spd with the forged rims and the factory rear spoiler:drool:

10. icecreaman420

icecreaman420 OT Supporter