BMW 750il , as bad as people say it is?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Websites are saying that the rating for this car is above normal. But some other websites, users are saying its worse than typical bmw problems. Does anyone on here have any other opinions on it? 1995 with 95k miles so I just want to know what I should look out for that could be potential problems in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I don't have personal experience with a 7 series, everything we ever had so far are a coupe of 3s and a 5. I am sure however that it is prone to the same typical BMW maintenance items. Suspension goes toast around 60-70k, cooling system needs replacement before 100k etc...

3. MP525i

MP525i New Member

exactly. if you're looking into an e38 7er, make sure of these items addressed above as well as the vanos unit. i'm pretty sure that by 1995, all bmw's had vanos... even the v12's.

suspension, i hear, is massive for an e38. good luck with the purchase.

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Alrite, from what it sounds its the typical bmw stuff, but nothing to mess around with.

5. MP525i

MP525i New Member

i would check out bimmerforums.com. those guys really know their stuff and are of great help. my buddy just picked up a '98 740il sport and it was gonna cost him around $350-400 for a tranny flush. *that's with him doing it himself.

6. Wooodis

Wooodis New Member

If you dont Care much about A/C than your in the clear. 95-00 7 series models are notorious for thier a/c units breaking down. I have the 1999 pre-2000 model and the only thing that broke down was the a/c unit. Other than that the car runs great!

7. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

I :love: the e38, the last great 7 before bangle bungled it.

Don't let the suspension issues frighten you off, suspension work is pretty easy to do yourself and the money you save will more than pay for a nice set of tools. Additionally, you can get things like grunt's bushings that shops wouldn't normally offer (or if they did, it'd be at an arm and a leg).

I've heard a few nightmare stories about electronics in e38s. On guy on an e28 board also has an e38; he's replaced at least five window regulators. It seems to be a stout car at its core, with just a lot of niggling annoyances that pop up.

Beautiful, though.

8. bavboym3

bavboym3 New Member

I wouldnt buy one with high miles.. There is lots of things to go wrong on the car, and very expensive to fix... I just sold a 98 with 40k miles on it.. Drove great!

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Just because the car no longer cost $120k doesn't mean it won't have $120k car maintenance.