Bmw 650cs

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MapleLeaf, Jul 13, 2005.

1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I am thinking of picking up a used (2001-2003) MBW 650CS. Tried one a short while ago and fell in love.

I want something 600 - 750 that is good both in the city and on the highway. A pure sport bike is my preference but compliments of a busted left arm years ago, sport bikes make my arm go numb. This bike is a compromise between a sport bike and a cruiser.

Any thoughts on it? Any other bikes you would recommend I try first?

Merci,
    MapleLeaf

2. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

If thumpers are your thing, go for it. Personally I'd rather ride an FZ6 by Yamaha. Although the low maintance belt drive might be appealing to some. For the money though, it doesn't seem like you're getting that much compared to the Japanese bikes.

3. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

if you are really into sportbikes, you might want to consider modifications to get something you'll really like.

A set of heli-bars and a new seat will go a long way towards improving comfort. Also, if you learn to support your weight on your back, it will make the ride more bearable.

4. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Thanks for the tip about the FZ6 - I am going to look into that model, it looks similar is build to the BMW and no doubt much cheaper to purchase / maintain.

As for the mod's, tried that on my Suzuki, at least the handlebars, helped a bit but long distance driving always killed my left arm. Never tried supporting my weight differently.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Just know that the FZ6 is going to be a bit different from that BMW thumper. I'd say the FZ will be less tiring due to its smoother motor, but I've never ridden either.

6. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Why do you call the BMW a thumper? Never heard that term before in relation to a bike.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thumper usually refers to the bike sporting a single cylinder motor. It's a reference to the exhaust note which sounds like a thumping noise at low RPM.

The only issue I really have with that particular BMW is the single front disc. In harder riding, you may start to notice fade a lot sooner than dual disc...at least, my Magna acts this way.

8. granto

granto New Member

I've ridden BMWs for a while, and take my word... don't buy a CS. In fact don't buy anything other than an R or K bike. Engine is nowhere near up to par for a motorcycle in my opinion and the belt idea is :down:, same with the chain on the regular F650.

9. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Thank you saboom. I really am at a loss as to what to buy and the BMW looked and felt extremely comfortable. The FZ6 seems a bit too crouched over, too sportbike ish, so no doubt it may cause arm cramps again. Damn I don't want a total cruiser.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Look into a VStrom from Suzuki.

REALLY comfy although shorter riders have difficulty with them.

11. funkatation

funkatation I'm dead sexy!

I have a v-strom 650... love it. I prefer a v-twin to a I-4 (FZ6) as they are much smoother IMO. Powerband tends to be in the lower RPM range as well. I was in the same boat you are though, don't want a sport bike, don't want a cruiser.. unfortunately in the US there aren't that many choices! (ESPECIALLY in the >1000cc range)

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

V-Twin smoother?

Hardly. Those 4 pistons do a much better job at smoothing power delivery.

13. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Smoother in the power delivery (more linear), not in engine balance/vibrations.

14. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

exactly, although one could say that because of the harsh torque hit that they produce, they require a more steady hand to control the more abrupt nature.

This is assuming, of course that you forget the rush of horsepower that the I-4's deliever once revving them high enough.

15. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

i think it all depends what you are going for and what fits, I have a GS and I admit it isnt a extremely quick bike but it was never meant to be it is more of a dual sport which is 80 road 20 off and then it also has the ability to go long distances comfortably. Isnt the best thing for freeways I guess but freeways suck for bikes anyway.

Of course the next bike id really like to get would be a 1200GS

16. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

can kinda do that but is uncomfortable, probably need to get a bigger or smaller windscreen, right now the wind nails me right in the chin and really pushes back on my neck, I either need it more in my chest or higher on head

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

One that directs the wind up over you would be better.
    The factory windscreens on most bikes are NOT designed with much thought. Aftermarket is always the way to go.

18. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I also have a Vstrom 650. Its the BEST do it all bike available. The damn thing is like duct tape. If you can't find a use for it, there isn't one. Not to mention its cheap too. I just picked up an '05 for $6190 out the door. Then I added Givi bags, and I have an awesome commuter.

I also have a Kawasaki Z1000. While its a rush to ride, its not near as versatile. The inline is a little smoother then the Vtwin (vibrations wise). But the Vtwin is great around towner due to its wide power delivery, and good lowend power.

You can't go wrong with the little Strom. Plus averaging over 50mpg and 300 miles to a tank, how could you deny it?