BMW 540i Questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Sep 26, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

What are some things to watch out for on current model 540i BMWs reliability wise and maintenence wise?

Is the Harmon Kardon sound system any good?

2. TriShield

*whistles*

Oh, just curious is all.

3. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

From what I have heard and seen reported, the M62 V8 is actually very reliable. There are 1997s and 1998s now with over 100,000 miles on them that are running just as strong as new with nothing more than proper preventative maintenence (Inspection I and II at suggested intervals) during their lifetimes.

The fit and finish on the interior is much better than the E36. Hell the whole car in general is just plain better than the E36. :big grin:

4. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

and theyr fast as fuck...

5. How reliable is a 92 5 series? they are v12. Anyone know how much power they put out?

6. TriShield

Very reliable, just as I suspected. :big grin:

How much does stuff like brake jobs typically cost?

7. El Slotho

Big bucks at a dealer, but considerably less at an independent mechanic (nothing surprising I am sure). Places like http://www.bavauto.com is the place to go for the parts, and then you just need to find someone competent who will install the pads and rotors. Because of their weight, they do go through brakes up front a bit quickly, but this is to be expected.

Plus, hell, it's the E39. It looks to be the best looking 5er for a very long time. :(

Super Sperm - a 92 is an E34, and there was no V12. The nastiest engine available was an I6 in the M5.

8. TriShield

6 seconds to 60 with a manual according to BMW's site.

Not bad for a midsize, 290HP luxury sedan.

9. El Slotho

Fastest stock 540i I've seen at the local track ran a 13.8 - and it was just coming into its own as it blew past the 100 mph mark. Once moving they are formidable. My friend owned a 2000 549i Sport with automatic tranny and 3.15 rear end and the car was honestly surprisingly fast on the highway - and the 6 speeds are even faster. :eek3:

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Ask yourself why BMWs flagship vehicle, which cost probably something north of $60 grand, would be so cheap so soon.

It's because you have to coin your own money to keep it running.

11. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

They're pretty reliable as a car, but some things usually tend to go bad. Here are the most common things to go bad w/ the E39 540s:

Valve Cover Gaskets
    Radiator (plastic neck usually breaks)
    Waterpump
    Window Actuator (motor)
    Driver side HID Ballast (due to oil cooler about 6" away)

Those are some which I experienced in my car and know to be 'common'.

As for the brake job question, its not too expensive. Its about $100-$150 labor for the front end for pads and discs at a dealer. Pads and discs can be had for a total of $200-$250 at wholesale BMW dealers (mostly in California) like www.circlebmw.com and www.pacificbmw.com.

Also, my car went 14.165 in the 1/4 mile stock at Great Lake Dragway in Wisconsin.

12. gpchamp

gpchamp Guest

540i's are reliable as heck. I had a 2001 6-speed.

13. TriShield

Exactly what I was looking for.

The HID ballast I can probably insulate myself if I can reach it, the rest of it is what long factory warranties are for.

14. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I had a warranty from www.carwarrantiesdirect.com for my 540/6. Excellent warranty.

One great thing I enjoy about owning a BMW is that its very easy to work on. A radiator or waterpump would take you no more than an afternoon's work w/ good documentation, which is widely available in forms of CDs on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34211&item=2434810498 )

I've worked on all my BMWs since I bought them, whether it be suspension components or motor components and its so very easy to work on. BTW, I'm not an expert by any means, I just follow directions w/ a 119 piece Craftsman toolkit from Sears :)

EDIT: Forgot to add that the valve cover gaskets are a bit*h to do and they're billed as 7 hours labor at the dealer for about $20 in parts. Also wanted to update you on a few more things which tend to go back and their prices:

Instrument Cluster Pixels Die = $500-$600 (currently you can get it from BMWNA for almost free by calling them up).
    MID (Multi-Info Display) = Approx. $350-$500 (currently you can get it from BMWNA for almost free by calling them up).

15. TriShield

I'm a pretty handy guy, but I've never touched a BMW other to drive it or detail it. I'm glad to hear they're pretty straightforward.

16. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

even with the new gen 5-series coming out, a e39 540/6 especially an '01+ will be a solid bmw sports saloon. its really a great example of what a bmw is.