GUN bluing questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by el capitan, Oct 17, 2007.

1. el capitan

el capitan New Member

my father in law wants to semi restore on old 22 that his father gave to him. he wants to give it to my brother in law as a gift. Now onto the question. the barrel finish is fucked, and i mean fucked. can he give it a light sanding with a light sand paper, maybe some wet sanding, and then re-blue it? are there any good products out there for this? or should he just send it somewhere and have it done?

cliffs: father-in-law wants to restore heirloom rifle. barrel needs refinish, any cheap good solutions?

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

you don't need to sand bluing off, they make kits to strip/reblue rifles. check midwayusa.com or brownells

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:werd:

like he said they make chemicals to strip the blue off, it might need a little work with fine steel wool to get that off. Or you could just rub the whole thing with aluminum foil . . . :noes: (actually does take blue off a bit, great for removing rust) but in all seriousness don't sand unless you actually are trying to smooth out actual damage to the metal and even then do that after you have stripped the blue.

On a side note, how old is the rifle, do you know its value? If the weapon is worth a decent bit I would think about not refinishing it, because that would lover the value.

4. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i'm kinda vague on the details. i'm not sure of the age. i get what you mean about not refinishing it, but from what i understand its pretty well used up. its getting the refinish for more looks then functionality. i don't think it will be fired much, if at all. he just wants to redo it so it was like it was when his father gave it to him.

5. el capitan

el capitan New Member

found one, "blue wonder gun blue"

google > me

thanks for the input

6. Furner

Furner New Member

rebluing a whole gun with that stuff is going to suck, and probably not look as good as a hot-blue job. check with local smiths to see what they would do it for. cold-blue IMO is for touch-ups

7. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

I had a friend who re-blued a gun with a kit, it really didn't come out looking too good. I think the bluing that you can pick up at a shop is best for touchup. You can want to recommend that he contacts a smith about a hot blue job as was previously suggested otherwise I don't think he would get the results he is hoping for.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

i've been pretty happy with brownell's oxpho-blue, degrease the surface well before using any cold blue product and also try to warm the part up a little with a hair dryer or heat gun first. not so hot you can't hold it, but warm.

when you say fucked do you mean just gone or rusty? if its gotten rusty and pitted you need to look at other options.

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

rust blue is the way to go :o

10. el capitan

el capitan New Member

good stuff guys. i watched the video on the blue wonder site, and it "appeared" to do a pretty decent job. i also forgot to mention that my father-in-law is a lil' on the cheap side. so this kit is right up his alley. end of the day it will look ten million times better then it looks now.

11. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

You got any pictures of the rifle?

If you get a make, model and serial number for most common guns you should be able to google in and find a list that tells you the serial number ranges for each year. Heck some manufacturers do it too, you could always call them up, I think browning for a price will even put together a little history package on your firearm.

I have one gun that may well have been my great grandfather's not a lick of blue left on it, hammer cocked notch worn flat, I simply refuse to reblue it and when I get around to having the hammer replaced I intend to keep the old parts.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

14. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i don't have any pics, serial numbers, or anything like it. the rifle is back at my in laws house 2 hours away. as soon as i get some pics and info i'll update