Bluetooth cellphones compatible with cingular?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, Apr 1, 2004.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

I am an electronics kinda guy - though since i'm only a college kid who spends more on his system for his car then anything else (i can justify spending $400 on a 4 channel higher end amplifier, but i can't justify buying a PalmOne Tungsten (2 or 3) PDA - i'm still running off of a Palm V which i use for school keeping track of grads and everything)

anyway - i don't keep with electronics that much - but i have had the same cellphone for some time now - and its time for me to upgrade.

But since i may be changing my service sometime soon - i don't want to just buy one and get a 1 or 2 year contract - i want to grab one off of ebay for a good price (i know alll about ebay - and i'm willing to accept the chances you take buying used on ebay)

Heres the scoop - i have cingular wireless here in delaware. - i don't like it that much - but it has to do for now (lets just say i'm under a family plan - parents paying for it for now until i get a job and crap - so i can't switch to another service for now)

I want to grab a cellphone with bluetooth (wana give toothing a try he he - if you have heard at all about the british thing called toothing involving bluetooth phones - but there are other reasons i want bluetooth)

but the problem is - i've been pretty much out of the loop - i don't know what previous model phones have bluetooth in them - for now - cingular only carrys 3 models which are bluetooth - and i don't like each for various reasons (and have heard negative stuff about each that makes me hesitate to upgrade from my nokia 8265) - they are the Nokia 6200, Sony Ericsson T616, and the Siemens SL56

What other good model cellphones are compatible with cingular that have bluetooth (searching does jack on cingular's website - hard to find phones that are compatible)

or at least tell me what phones to search for - like what service type is cingular? TMDA??

2. LEX

LEX :2002:

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

people call that picture quality lame?

lol - some people are a bit expectant of good quality (i have read many reviews - the t616 is the top of my list if i have to go with that phone because of price and features i would like to have)

but in all reality - i have seen some of the picture quality from some of the cameraphones out there - and they are worse then that - much worse.

but thanks for the link.

anyone got any other opinions on bluetooth phones compatible with cingular wireless?

4. LEX

LEX :2002:

^ :o It's not bad for a 1st gen phone... but there are better ones out there (but I don't remember what carrier or phone type they had)

5. cassetti

cassetti New Member

yeah - i heard about those new digicamera's in some of the newer cellphones that will be comeing out - suposedly to do decent quality 640x480 shots.

anyone got any other advice - should i stay away from the Ericsson T616?

I mean i have had nokia's ever since my first cellphone: the 5160 -

6. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

Since you are with Cingular you will probably want to go with a phone with 850Mhz capability like the T616. The Nokia 6200 and the Siemens SL56 don't have bluetooth at all, the Siemens S56 does. What you should do is go to www.phonescoop.com and use their phonefinder feature. At the moment I have three Bluetooth phones. The SE T616, the Ericsson T39 and the Siemens S56. Out of the three the T616 is my favorite so far. I would also check www.howardforums.com for reviews. Other phones you may want to look at that have bluetooth but don't necessarily have the 850Mhz frequency are the SE Z600, Nokia 3660 (I believe), Nokia 3650, Nokia 6230, SE T630, SE T637 (has 850 but is not out yet). The T630/7 are the newer versions of the T610/6 series. Hope this helped some.

7. PsychoDeli

PsychoDeli Day of the Baphomets

I have a T616 and I love it..

If I were to purchase a new bluetooth phone tho.. I'd wait a few months and get a Sony Ericsson K700. Looks amazing.. Picture quality is really beefed up.. will take short movies, plays MP3s.. (and you can use an MP3 as a ringtone).. speakerphone and built in FM Tuner.

Depending on how much money your willing to spend.. the S700 looks like it'll be :eek3:

Links:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp...oader&php=PHP1_10139&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10139

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10140

Those phones should be coming to Cingular / ATT in a few months

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  8. PsychoDeli

PsychoDeli Day of the Baphomets