BLUESCREEN while gaming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by $shot, Nov 18, 2004.

1. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

maybe 1/10 or so times playing doom3 i'll randomly bluescreen and quickly reboot. i don't know how to change my settings to set it NOT to reboot on bluescreen (i know there are some), but i can catch it saying memory or ram dump or something. i've searched and saw other ppl having same probs but never read any solutions.

specs:
    A64 3500+
    geforce 6800ultra
    1gig twinx xms corsair ram
    10,000 raptor (brand new)
    7200 storage drive (it did it on this drive too before i got the raptor)
    audigy2
    antec 550true ps
    win xp pro

i know it's not the drivers because i literally JUST put in that hd and installed xp pro and installed all the latest drivers. i have 4 fans running and never see any extreme raise in cpu/gpu temps (this MIGHT be because sometimes i can't check because it reboots)..
    ALSO: i can get a bluescreen after 10min of playing doom3 sometimes. HOWEVER, i could also play 3+hrs w/out any probs. Half-life2 has not had any problems or the sort, yet. Pain Killer demo did the bluescreen/reboot combo very consistently after a short time of playing (i installed it one time to check out the graphics). thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

just because you recently installed the latest video drivers does not mean that is not the problem. try a different (read: older) video driver version

3. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

i've had the problem with previous drivers too.. original, beta, and nvidia just released some last week. same problem

edit: come to think of it, i don't know if i ever got the blue screen with the original drivers, however doom3 would still freeze sometimes

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

To halt the machine on a blue screen, right-click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery. There should a box that says Automatically Restart. Make sure it is UN-checked.

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

are you overclocking?

6. $shot

$shot OT Supporter

nope.. no need to yet