GUN blued vs stainless ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by s2k, Apr 12, 2008.

1. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

pros? cons? etc....

ibgetaglockorxd

2. Furner

Furner New Member

Blued-easily reapplied if it wears, but is not very good at preventing rust

stainless, someone else will have to comment on. i deleted my comments on it because i dont know that much about it and dont want to look like a fool

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

thatsracist.gif

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, you need to tell us what type of firearm you're looking at... And what it's going to be used for.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Generally...

Blued finishes do not wear very well. They scratch easily, and wear from holster use and just plain handling. They do look very pretty when done well. So for a safe queen a deep rich blue job will be the best looking. Now there is nothing wrong with a blue job that has been worn with use. I think it adds character. Kind of like you favorite pair of jeans. They can rust so you need to stay on top of cleaning and wiping them down. You can touch up the blueing with some good quality cold blue. Make sure you clean your blued guns with the proper stuff like blue wonder.

Stainless steel is nice in that it cleans very easily. What you have to watch for is that stainless steel is softer than regular steel. Some people do better jobs of heat treating stainless than others but generally steel is harder.

I like the look of a black gun and there are other modern finishes. The newest one is ion bond or pvd. This stuff is super hard and slick. It is a deep dark black and you cannot scratch this stuff with a knife. It is harder than the steel.

Duracote and other bake on finishes are inexpensive and they look pretty good (when done correctly). You can do solids or patterns. I've seen both good and bad duracote jobs and it is more on the prep and the skill of the person applying it. The newest trend is the digital camo jobs. Seems like the cool kids are doing it to their race guns. I'm a black with chrome highlights guy but I like it enough that I want to experiment with a dark urban digital pattern on one of my race glocks. We got a new airbrush and complete duracote kit at the shop.

There are a ton of other finishes. Nickle, hard chrome, salt bath nitrate, and tefon impregnated nickle. They all have their uses.